Red Rice Salad

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

Red Rice Salad

1 pound plum or vine-ripened tomatoes (about 5 plum tomatoes), peeled

3 cups cooked white rice (from 1 cup uncooked)

1/4 cup chopped fresh chives

1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Set a strainer over a small bowl. Core the tomatoes, cut them in half widthwise, and using your pinkie finger, tease the seeds out of the cavities, letting them drop into the strainer. Tap the rim of the strainer against your palm for 30 seconds, until most of the flavorful get clinging to the seeds dissolves and drips into the bowl. Cover and refrigerate the tomato water; you should have about 1/4 cup. Discard the seeds.

Chop the tomatoes into 1/2-inch dice, and toss them in a bowl with the rice, chives and basil. Cover with plastic wrap and allow the flavors to meld in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, or for up to 24 hours.

In a small bowl, whisk together the reserved tomato water, mustard, vinegar and salt. Add the olive oil in a thin stream, whisking constantly until the ingredients are thoroughly emulsified. Toss the dressing gently with the rice mixture. Serve cold or at room temperature. Covered, the salad will keep in the refrigerator for about 3 days.

SOURCE: “The Lee Brothers Simple Fresh Southern Cookbook,” by Matt Lee and Ted Lee

That sounds good! Do you think it would work with brown rice? (I need all the fiber I can get.bag.gif )

Draggingtree

That sounds good! Do you think it would work with brown rice? (I need all the fiber I can get.bag.gif )

I would not try it, who's knows, but if you want to spend the time and try it let me know how it comes out laugh.png