Give Me Posterity

Valin

bc0217rc.htmlCity Journal:

A new biography of Patrick Henry reveals a complicated but exemplary American.

Ryan L. Cole

17 February 2012

Peruse the language of the Tea Party or Occupy Wall Street movements, and you will, at some point, encounter “give me liberty or give me death.” Apart from the various preambles and amendments to our founding documents, these are arguably the best- known and most invoked words from the American Revolution. The phrase has far outlived the reputation of its author: two centuries after his death, Patrick Henry remains associated with a fragment of a speech he delivered at Richmond’s St. John’s church in the spring of 1775, and little else. But Henry, the subject of a fine new biography by historian Thomas S. Kidd, should be remembered for much more.

Virginia’s first governor, and one of the earliest and most articulate advocates for American independence, Henry was essential to the nation’s founding. He was also a complex, contradictory figure whose legacy doesn’t easily lend itself to modern appropriation: a Founding Father who fought tooth and nail against the ratification of the Constitution, a staunch defender of human liberty who owned scores of slaves, and a firm exponent of Christian virtue not entirely uncomfortable using his power for personal gain. Patrick Henry: First Among Patriots portrays a sui generis patriot whose career illustrates the probity and failings of men and the governments they craft—as well as the power of words.

(Snip)

The objective of Henry’s last political battle may help explain why his life is less remembered than his words. Explaining that he “smelt a rat” in the push to reshape the federal government, he declined his selection to represent Virginia at the Constitutional Convention in 1787 and stayed home. Unsurprisingly, Henry found much to dislike in the convention’s final product. He feared the Constitution’s strong centralized government would usurp the rights and authority belonging to the states, tax its citizens excessively, and create a colossal military for the purpose of conquests in the name of “American glory.” He was also appalled at the creation of a president to oversee this new enterprise. Henry argued that the chief executive might well end up a monarch under a different name. And, prophetically, he suggested that maintaining this new government would eventually “cost this continent immense sums.” Yet though Henry spoke out in opposition to the Constitution during Virginia’s ratifying convention, he eventually reconciled himself to the new government’s design.

(Snip)

"Give me liberty or death."

Which one of the existing candidates espouses that?

I posit there isn't a single one of you that would contemplate life w/out medicare/social security. food stamp or other government entilrement progrmam.

So who are you voting for? The one that promises you the most largess out of the treasury? Or that candidate the promises to change your life the most.

I posit there isn't a single one of you that would contemplate life w/out medicare/social security. food stamp or other government entilrement progrmam.

So who are you voting for? The one that promises you the most largess out of the treasury? Or that candidate the promises to change your life the most.

I'll posit this back at you that many of us have contemplated life without medicare/social security/food stamps, etc....it won't be there for us!!!! We know that, we are seeing the ponzi scheme play out and know that at the end.....we again were slaves.

There is no perfect candidate, but the one that promises the least and educates the most will get my vote.

I'll posit this back at you that many of us have contemplated life without medicare/social security/food stamps, etc....it won't be there for us!!!! We know that, we are seeing the ponzi scheme play out and know that at the end.....we again were slaves.

There is no perfect candidate, but the one that promises the least and educates the most will get my vote.

@raygun

First and most important

Welcome! We look forward to your input.

Second

Given the 3+1 candidates we have (like em don't liked em these are who we have), who do you support? (Turn about being fair play) (See Newt Gingrich 2+2=4)

@Rheo

When did we have the prefect candidate?

I'm so thoroughly disgusted with the curent state of affairs - everybody talks a big game but nobody does anything - I just wonder if everybody is talking down at each other WHEN will anything get done?

What needs to get done? Well, gee, perhaps more in line with what Bastiat is talkin' 'bout. I feel its a sorry state of affairs when a Frenchman - who so admired the Federal system of government in the United States of America in his various treatise's - that we have to take our cues from a Frenchman.

According to popularity, an overwhelming majority of people like Reagan today. But that wasn't so true during his terms was it? NOPE. Every inch and step of the way the left shrieked and howled. Nancy Pelosi's outrage at $2.35 / gallon gasoline should be an apt reminder

In 2008 we had an election, and Fred Hunter and Duncan Thomas were passed over for more adroit, astute and above all more "electable" candidates. My stomach churns and up-chucks lunch contemplating that the vast majority of "conservatives" in this country are totally complacent with Hoover style-conservatives.

I've recently discovered a print copy of Reader's Digest September 1973. There was an article in that issue regarding Adm "Bull" Halsey written by Adm. Arleigh Burke (Ret.) - Chief of Naval Operations 1955-61. In it he mentioned an incident concerning Fidel Castro moving his revolution out of the Sierra Maestera. Word came to D.C. that many American's feared for the lives. It fell upon Burke to to get these American's out of country.

He radioed word to a very junior reserve officer commanding a small Navy transport to get the Americans out. His was the only American ship within reasonable distance to provide any assistance. The order issued by Burke - who at one time was a subordinate of Halsey - to "protect American lives & property". This VERY junior reserve officer radio'd back for additional orders.

Burke replied: "Your replacement will deliver them personally."

This VERY junior reserve Naval officer subsequently moved his small transport into litoral waters, dispatched an armed shore-party onto the beach, and neatly pulled these Americans fearing for their lives as neatly as he'd been doing it all his life. Burke finishes the article stating that Halsey would've been proud of that youngster.

Where did American gumption go?

I'm so thoroughly disgusted with the curent state of affairs - everybody talks a big game but nobody does anything - I just wonder if everybody is talking down at each other WHEN will anything get done?

The problem (IMO) is not that we are not getting "anything done", remember the Framers of the Constitution set things up so that it is hard "to get anything done". The problem is the reverse, the federal government is getting way too much done This will change sometime in the next 10 years, because we are broke.

As for what happened to American Gumption? Doing just fine thank you very much. (examples available on request, in the meantime Google Nick Popaditch as one small example)