State of the Union -- Live Thread

clearvision

This date thing is annoying. I was so looking forward to a visibly large majority of the room either jumping up and clapping together, or even more likely: sitting on their hands and glowering together. I hope Boehner has a super retaliation plan in place. Bwahaha.

I'm so glad you all are doing this. That way I can get the scoop without having to actually watch.

Yes..I confess I just don't have the strength to watch this litany of lies.

Thank you ahead of time for doing the "dirty work" for us.

righteousmomma

This whole date night thing is so dang bizarre. Why oh why did the Republicans fall for this.

Will there be tshirts on their chairs when they enter tonight? Will prom pictures be before the rebuttal or after?

It makes me so danged FRUSTRATEDLYANGRY at the Repubs.

WHY?WHY?WHY? Bizarre is right!

Sound bites all day have done nothing but vilify Ryan as mean, evil and cold hearted.

I'm so glad you all are doing this. That way I can get the scoop without having to actually watch.

Yes..I confess I just don't have the strength to watch this litany of lies.

Thank you ahead of time for doing the "dirty work" for us.

Never pass up an opportunity for some good snark. :lol:

What is the Republican's reason for doing this? Why when they get the majority bodies would they dilute that presence to sit next to the very ones that will stab them on the up and down?

righteousmomma

Ha. Rush is calling it the Date of the Union.

Let's see how many will show up wearing Rush's red sash idea?

We both have meetings but will catch up with you all later.

All the serious stuff going on it the world today and we have memorials that are pep rallies, now SOTU is a date night.

Will confetti rain down from the ceiling as the last waltz is played??? pffffftt.

Preview of Chairman Paul Ryan's Republican Address to the Nation

“Americans are skeptical of both political parties, and that skepticism is justified – especially when it comes to spending. So hold all of us accountable. In this very room, the House will produce, debate, and advance a budget. Last year – in an unprecedented failure– Congress chose not to pass, or even propose a budget. The spending spree continued unchecked. We owe you a better choice and a different vision. Our forthcoming budget is our obligation to you – to show you how we intend to do things differently … how we will cut spending to get the debt down… help create jobs and prosperity … and reform government programs.”

- Paul Ryan

Republican Address to the Nation

January 25, 2011

Rep_Giffords Gabrielle Giffords

by mkhammer

From the entire Giffords team: Happy 21st Birthday Daniel Hernandez! Sounds like you have fun plans tonight :)

---

He will be in attendance tonight, as will the AZ medical team and the family of Christina Green

I guess I missed the reports of the family member of murdered Federal Judge Rollo being invited to sit in the balcony with the First Lady so that the country can express their sorrow and sympathy at his untimely death, and thank them for his dying acts of heroism....

:angry:

I guess I missed the reports of the family member of murdered Federal Judge Rollo being invited to sit in the balcony with the First Lady so that the country can express their sorrow and sympathy at his untimely death, and thank them for his dying acts of heroism....

:angry:

I, too, have missed those reports. Maybe they declined fearing another pep rally atmosphere.

Excerpts from the President’s State of the Union Address

With their votes, the American people determined that governing will now be a shared responsibility between parties. New laws will only pass with support from Democrats and Republicans. We will move forward together, or not at all – for the challenges we face are bigger than party, and bigger than politics.

At stake right now is not who wins the next election – after all, we just had an election. At stake is whether new jobs and industries take root in this country, or somewhere else. It’s whether the hard work and industry of our people is rewarded. It’s whether we sustain the leadership that has made America not just a place on a map, but a light to the world. We are poised for progress. Two years after the worst recession most of us have ever known, the stock market has come roaring back. Corporate profits are up. The economy is growing again.

But we have never measured progress by these yardsticks alone. We measure progress by the success of our people. By the jobs they can find and the quality of life those jobs offer. By the prospects of a small business owner who dreams of turning a good idea into a thriving enterprise. By the opportunities for a better life that we pass on to our children. That’s the project the American people want us to work on. Together.

Half a century ago, when the Soviets beat us into space with the launch of a satellite called Sputnik¸ we had no idea how we’d beat them to the moon. The science wasn’t there yet. NASA didn’t even exist.

But after investing in better research and education, we didn’t just surpass the Soviets; we unleashed a wave of innovation that created new industries and millions of new jobs.

This is our generation’s Sputnik moment.

NRO

Edited by Rheo
added link