.Ukraine to open Chernobyl area to tourists in 2011

ErnstBlofeld

eu_ukraine_chernobyl_tourism
AP via Yahoo News:

Want a better understanding of the world's worst nuclear disaster? Come tour the Chernobyl nuclear power plant. Beginning next year, Ukraine plans to open up the sealed zone around the Chernobyl reactor to visitors who wish to learn more about the tragedy that occurred nearly a quarter of a century ago, the Emergency Situations Ministry said Monday.

Chernobyl's reactor No. 4 exploded on April 26, 1986, spewing radiation over a large swath of northern Europe. Hundreds of thousands of people were resettled from areas contaminated with radiation fallout in Ukraine, Belarus and Russia. Related health problems still persist.

The so-called exclusion zone, a highly contaminated area within a 30-mile (48-kilometer) radius of the exploded reactor, was evacuated and sealed off in the aftermath of the explosion. All visits were prohibited.

Today, about 2,500 employees maintain the remains of the now-closed nuclear plant, working in shifts to minimize their exposure to radiation. Several hundred evacuees have returned to their villages in the area despite a government ban. A few firms now offer tours to the restricted area, but the government says those tours are illegal and their safety is not guaranteed.

snip

Why visit a site where the radiation is still high? When Chernobyl reactor number four's core exploded the graphite container and blew the roof off the reactor. The explosion and fire threw hot particles of the nuclear fuel and also far more dangerous fission products.

Why visit a site where the radiation is still high? When Chernobyl reactor number four's core exploded the graphite container and blew the roof off the reactor. The explosion and fire threw hot particles of the nuclear fuel and also far more dangerous fission products.

shoutErnst!

Haven't you always wanted to glow in the dark?

Did you hear about the Swedish babies born right after Chernobyl? You know, the ones with blond eyes and blue hair? :blink:

shoutErnst!

Haven't you always wanted to glow in the dark?

Did you hear about the Swedish babies born right after Chernobyl? You know, the ones with blond eyes and blue hair? :blink:

Does glowing beat a nice tan?

Radiation in these amounts could kill you. The amount of radiation exposed is about equal to a 1000 X-Rays. It goes through your body straight through your cells and causes chromosomal mutation. Ionizing radiation produces rearrangements of the genome.

Long term exposure in the region carries high risk of radiation related injury/disease, but a very short visit (half a day or less) should not harm most people; although pregnant women or cancer survivors would obviously never want to go there.

Long term exposure in the region carries high risk of radiation related injury/disease, but a very short visit (half a day or less) should not harm most people; although pregnant women or cancer survivors would obviously never want to go there.

If they are allowed into the site, they should be wearing film badges. The DOE Nevada Test Site provides film badges to their visitors. You are still being exposed to high amounts of radiation.

Let's see... It probably costs a lot of money to get to Chernobyl. And it is probably pretty ugly when you get there. So...spend a lot of money to visit a dump, or spend a lot of money taking a cruise to some tropical island... Who the heck would sign up to pay to tour a disaster area? No one I want to vacation with.

I would like to see it. I been to several areas where there was high radioactivity, why not another.

7.jpg

Hanford and DOE Nevada are as dead as the moon. At Hanford, they have something like 50 million gallons of nuclear waste and the tanks are leaking.

Let's see... It probably costs a lot of money to get to Chernobyl. And it is probably pretty ugly when you get there. So...spend a lot of money to visit a dump, or spend a lot of money taking a cruise to some tropical island... Who the heck would sign up to pay to tour a disaster area? No one I want to vacation with.

Sign me up for the cruise. I'll go see Chernobyl in another three or four centuries if I'm still around. B)