'Christian Conservative' Should Replace Jewish Speaker, Some Texas Pols Say

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
christian-conservative-replace-jewish-speaker-texan-pols-say
Fox News:

The race to lead the Texas House of Representatives has taken a religious turn, with some conservatives in the state suggesting that the speaker of the House, who is a Jewish Republican, should be replaced by a "Christian conservative."

Over the past month, in a spate of e-mails and political pitches, conservative opponents of incumbent Speaker Joe Straus have said they want him replaced not because of his Jewish religion, but because of his betrayal of Republican principles.

But several of Straus' critics have noted how important it is that a Christian be named to take his place. These discussions have been made public by a series of media reports, drawing condemnation from some corners and making others in the GOP more than a bit uncomfortable.

In one e-mail conversation between two members of the State Republican Executive Committee, official John Cook stressed the need for a Christian to lead other Christians in the legislature.

"We elected a house with Christian, conservative values. We now want a true Christian, conservative running it," Cook said in the Nov. 30 e-mail, first published by the Texas Observer.

Cook, confirming the e-mail's authenticity, told FoxNews.com that his conversation was not about Straus' religion and that he didn't even know until recently that Straus was Jewish. But he stood by his belief that Christian conservatives should lead.

"My e-mail said nothing about Jewish people. I just want Christian conservatives in office," he said.

Griping that Straus had aligned himself with Democrats since they helped him get elected to the speaker post nearly two years ago, Cook said Straus has appointed moderate-at-best committee chairs who stonewall conservative legislation. Straus has appointed both Democrats and Republicans to chairmanships since taking office.

By contrast, Cook said, the two Christian conservatives who are challenging Straus -- Rep. Ken Paxton and Rep. Warren Chisum -- have "pro-life values" and "pro-family values." He said those values brought the state to where it is, suggesting God would want the Christian conservative coalition to expand.

"I think God has blessed our state," Cook said. And he rejected the way he's been portrayed, saying he's not anti-Semitic.

"It's not true at all. I have friends who are Jewish," he said. "I have no racial bigotry."

Paxton and Chisum could not be reached for comment, though Paxton is on the record condemning the comments that have been made. Straus did not reply to requests for comment.
________

I understand wanting actual conservatives in office. But I really don't see why somebody's religion has to matter, although Cook seems to have been genuinely ignorant of Straus's faith (and apparently ignorant in other ways, too.)

Really? This is ridiculous. I hope this is just a outlier and not indicative of the movement as a whole. It's ridiculous and stupid. Conservative is one thing. But as long as one respects religion, and is not offended by mentions of others' religions, that's good enough for me. This strikes me as the other side of the "everybody has to be secular" coin and I don't like it at all.

Really? This is ridiculous. I hope this is just a outlier and not indicative of the movement as a whole. It's ridiculous and stupid. Conservative is one thing. But as long as one respects religion, and is not offended by mentions of others' religions, that's good enough for me. This strikes me as the other side of the "everybody has to be secular" coin and I don't like it at all.

To me I don't care about the religion of the politician.. Just as long they have the same values they can be a Raelian as far as I care.. I rather have a person be honest about their religion than a politician who pretends to be a Christian every time there is a mention they get caught with someone other than their spouse..

To me I don't care about the religion of the politician.. Just as long they have the same values they can be a Raelian as far as I care.. I rather have a person be honest about their religion than a politician who pretends to be a Christian every time there is a mention they get caught with someone other than their spouse..

Amen brother.

In one e-mail conversation between two members of the State Republican Executive Committee, official John Cook stressed the need for a Christian to lead other Christians in the legislature.

Dear Mr. Cook

I could not agree with you more! In the spirit of one true blue real Christian merican, to another, I really think we need to narrow it down some and decide the parameters we're talking about. I mean we really need to make sure only real Christians are put into this office.

Snarkly yours

Valin.

(Seriously)

While I haven't looked I would hazard a guess the left will have an absolute field day with this!

I also wonder if Mr. Cook has ever read what the Founder/Framers had to say about religious tests for office. Here's your hint Jimmy boy...they were agin it.