Amid airport anger, GOP takes aim at screening

Geee

Amid-airport-anger_-GOP-takes-aim-at-screening-1576602-108259869.html
Washington Examiner:

Amid airport anger, GOP takes aim at screening
By: BYRON YORK
Chief Political Correspondent
November 15, 2010

Did you know that the nation's airports are not required to have Transportation Security Administration screeners checking passengers at security checkpoints? The 2001 law creating the TSA gave airports the right to opt out of the TSA program in favor of private screeners after a two-year period. Now, with the TSA engulfed in controversy and hated by millions of weary and sometimes humiliated travelers, Rep. John Mica, the Republican who will soon be chairman of the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, is reminding airports that they have a choice.

Mica, one of the authors of the original TSA bill, has recently written to the heads of more than 150 airports nationwide suggesting they opt out of TSA screening. "When the TSA was established, it was never envisioned that it would become a huge, unwieldy bureaucracy which was soon to grow to 67,000 employees," Mica writes. "As TSA has grown larger, more impersonal, and administratively top-heavy, I believe it is important that airports across the country consider utilizing the opt-out provision provided by law."snip

After listening to the radio this morning, I have come to the conclusion that the TSA has decided to profile, slightly overweight grandmothers that have knee replacements, former athletes who have knee replacements and veterans who have had to have a metal plate put in anywhere in their bodies. You should have heard the people that called in the program!

There was one call from a grandmother who had a knee replacement. They pulled her out of the line and she was subjected to a crotch cavity search, through her clothes. Then they pulled up her shirt and stuck their hands into her bra. They did this in front of a line of about 30 people, mostly men. She started crying at the humiliation. She also said she would never fly again.

There were lots of grandmothers calling in who all got the same treatment.

Where has the common sense gone in our country? (This will really help the economy and our travel industry as these stories continue to come out)sarcasm

shoutStella

Where has the common sense gone in our country? (This will really help the economy and our travel industry as these stories continue to come out)sarcasm

Where has the common sense gone in our country?

I don't know but I can demonstrate that half of the common sense left when Zero was elected in November 2008.