Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., now wants investigation of *reusable* grocery bags

Geee

sen-chuck-schumer-d-ny-now-wants-investigation-of-reusable-grocery-bags-108175399.html
Washington Examiner:

Via Cubachi, comes this story from the Tampa Tribune about the Senior Senator from New York’s new found zeal to investigate the dangers of reusable grocery bags. Apparently not content with banning and/or taxing plastic grocery bags, Schumer is now threatening to regulate the reusable grocery bags that have been foisted on us in their place:

Sen. Chuck Schumer of New York asked federal agencies Sunday to investigate and ban reusable shopping bags with dangerous levels of lead following a Tampa Tribune investigation that found high levels in bags sold in the Bay area.

Schumer, the senior senator from New York, called on the federal Food and Drug Administration, Environmental Protection Agency and Consumer Product Safety Commission to investigate whether any of the reusable bags being sold at groceries and other stores across the country pose a danger.snip

Chucky must be jealous of Boehner getting all the facetime in front of the cameras. Actually, the Speaker-to-be should be relieved that Schumer is taking out his frustrations on grocery bags instead of him... B)

Good grief. What do these people expect us to do, carry our things home from the grocery store one item at a time?

They strike me as being perpetually upset about everything. Whine, whine, whine.

Leave us alone. We'll figure out how to get our groceries home thanks. :rolleyes:

shoutpollyannaish

We will end up doing what the Europeans do, carry our crap home in string bags.

3060812-beer-bag-0.jpg

On second thought, string bags won't work for thirsty shoppers.

shoutpollyannaish

We will end up doing what the Europeans do, carry our crap home in string bags.

3060812-beer-bag-0.jpg

On second thought, string bags won't work for thirsty shoppers.

Ha!

Yeah, string bags are so brilliant. They require you to use more packaging on the items you buy so they won't fall through the strings. :rolleyes:

Could these people bring themselves to start figuring out ways to get out of the way of business/commerce for awhile? You know, so they can take credit for "creating jobs?"

Go back to plastic bags/hydrocarbons & get one of these:

Plastic Treasure

Very interesting SrW. Wonder how pricey it is and if the process after it is converted is complicated. Must not be if they are using it in developing nations.

Guest areafiftyone

I loved the Big Brown Paper bags that my mother used to bring home from the grocery store when I was a kid. I know they are bad for the environment yada yada (too many trees being cut for them, etc.) but I kinda miss them.

One thing I have to agree with is the amount of lead in everything China makes is outrageous. I personally read everything to see if it is made here or in China. If it is made in China I don't buy it. Simple as that. The amount of lead that country uses is dangerous and since they they don't have strict regulations that we have here they can use enough to be hazardous to everyone's health and get away with it. If you look at everything we buy that is made in China they use lead paint and they simply do not care - as far as they are concerned it's all about sucking up America's money. And I am not an enviroweenie or anything but I know (living in a big city) how dangerous lead paint can be to children. The problem is that we have stopped manufacturing in this country and shoved them all overseas and with that we have left all the rules and regulations that keep us safe in this country behind.

But I don't think we should waste our time and money on an investigation. If they think they should be thrown out - toss them out. I hate those reusable bags anyway. I use the plastic ones at the grocery stores.

I loved the Big Brown Paper bags that my mother used to bring home from the grocery store when I was a kid. I know they are bad for the environment yada yada (too many trees being cut for them, etc.) but I kinda miss them.

One thing I have to agree with is the amount of lead in everything China makes is outrageous. I personally read everything to see if it is made here or in China. If it is made in China I don't buy it. Simple as that. The amount of lead that country uses is dangerous and since they they don't have strict regulations that we have here they can use enough to be hazardous to everyone's health and get away with it. If you look at everything we buy that is made in China they use lead paint and they simply do not care - as far as they are concerned it's all about sucking up America's money. And I am not an enviroweenie or anything but I know (living in a big city) how dangerous lead paint can be to children. The problem is that we have stopped manufacturing in this country and shoved them all overseas and with that we have left all the rules and regulations that keep us safe in this country behind.

But I don't think we should waste our time and money on an investigation. If they think they should be thrown out - toss them out. I hate those reusable bags anyway. I use the plastic ones at the grocery stores.

For what its worth, trees are a renewable resource and those big brown paper bags can easily be made from trees grown specifically for this purpose as crops AND by reclaiming the sawdust at sawmills that produce lumber. That's what makes this all so outrageous. There WAS a truly green option that was taken away from us for increasingly worse options because of hysteria rather than solid science.

The extreme environmentalist movement rarely takes an entire process or life cycle of something into account. I had a group of college students who were absolutely hell bent on returning to glass containers for most liquid products. So I had them figure out the energy required to deliver goods in glass and they freaked out. They never understood that the biggest environmental damage is not related to the containers themselves, but in energy used in the entire production process. To truly assess the environmental impact of something, you really have to look at the entire system.

So I say, let's go back to those brown paper bags!

PS. I'm impressed that you avoid buying from China. I tried for awhile and quickly discovered it just wasn't practical where I live. How do you do it?

PS. I'm impressed that you avoid buying from China. I tried for awhile and quickly discovered it just wasn't practical where I live. How do you do it?

Hey Pollyannaish! What about kudos for NCT? :(

I will only buy products that are made in Viet Nam or Papau New Guinea... Everybody has to take a stand for something.

Guest areafiftyone

For what its worth, trees are a renewable resource and those big brown paper bags can easily be made from trees grown specifically for this purpose as crops AND by reclaiming the sawdust at sawmills that produce lumber. That's what makes this all so outrageous. There WAS a truly green option that was taken away from us for increasingly worse options because of hysteria rather than solid science.

The extreme environmentalist movement rarely takes an entire process or life cycle of something into account. I had a group of college students who were absolutely hell bent on returning to glass containers for most liquid products. So I had them figure out the energy required to deliver goods in glass and they freaked out. They never understood that the biggest environmental damage is not related to the containers themselves, but in energy used in the entire production process. To truly assess the environmental impact of something, you really have to look at the entire system.

So I say, let's go back to those brown paper bags!

Believe me it's not easy. Sometimes it takes me a long time to find what I need. But because I live in a big city - I have more variety and more options. Even things you think are made in the U.S.A. you find out are really just distributors and are really made in China. It's really scary. The problem is to find stuff NOT MADE IN CHINA you have to go in the more expensive stores which I really don't like to do. I really can't afford those stores but I realize in the long run - it's better, the stuff is better quality and I feel like I keep Americans working in their manufacturing jobs in my own little way by increasing demand. You don't know how many times I've had to go looking all over the place for stuff. For people in a hurry and who are on a tight budget like me - sometimes you just want to say "Screw it - I'll buy it anyway", but I have a boyfriend who refuses to buy from China and wants only American products and he keeps me on my toes about it. For people who are struggling - they really have no choice. They have us over a barrel. China mass produces like we used to do (It's so sad isn't it?) and can make stuff cheaper that way. I went into a store the other day that had cookware and tableware only made in Europe. The stuff was absolutely gorgeous and some of the plates were hand painted from Italy, cookware was from Denmark, etc. But unfortunately I came out of the store with nothing because the pricing was much too high. So China has us over a barrel. Cheap stuff made with lead paint - who the heck knows what they do with their other products. Look what happened to that dog food a while back! I never forgot that. We need to increase manufacturing jobs here BIG TIME!

I live in Queens, NYC which has tons of factories that are closed down. All I see are closed factories and "building for sale" signs. I see them and think about the thousands of people who worked in those plants now just out of work or having to move out of NY. It saddens me to no end. I just hate it.

Hey Pollyannaish! What about kudos for NCT? :(

I will only buy products that are made in Viet Nam or Papau New Guinea... Everybody has to take a stand for something.

Ok, that's pretty impressive. Now I'm just trying to figure out how you live on figurines and espadrilles and fruit.

My dad used to insist on buying American cars. When we described to him how much of an American car is built off shore by international companies he said "Forget it."

He's loved his mostly built in America Toyotas ever since. :lol:

Believe me it's not easy. Sometimes it takes me a long time to find what I need. But because I live in a big city - I have more variety and more options. Even things you think are made in the U.S.A. you find out are really just distributors and are really made in China. It's really scary. The problem is to find stuff NOT MADE IN CHINA you have to go in the more expensive stores which I really don't like to do. I really can't afford those stores but I realize in the long run - it's better, the stuff is better quality and I feel like I keep Americans working in their manufacturing jobs in my own little way by increasing demand. You don't know how many times I've had to go looking all over the place for stuff. For people in a hurry and who are on a tight budget like me - sometimes you just want to say "Screw it - I'll buy it anyway", but I have a boyfriend who refuses to buy from China and wants only American products and he keeps me on my toes about it. For people who are struggling - they really have no choice. They have us over a barrel. China mass produces like we used to do (It's so sad isn't it?) and can make stuff cheaper that way. I went into a store the other day that had cookware and tableware only made in Europe. The stuff was absolutely gorgeous and some of the plates were hand painted from Italy, cookware was from Denmark, etc. But unfortunately I came out of the store with nothing because the pricing was much too high. So China has us over a barrel. Cheap stuff made with lead paint - who the heck knows what they do with their other products. Look what happened to that dog food a while back! I never forgot that. We need to increase manufacturing jobs here BIG TIME!

I live in Queens, NYC which has tons of factories that are closed down. All I see are closed factories and "building for sale" signs. I see them and think about the thousands of people who worked in those plants now just out of work or having to move out of NY. It saddens me to no end. I just hate it.

The big city part is key. We do try to buy locally as much as possible in town, especially fresh food in season. And I get bread from a local bakery as often as possible. But even the things local craftsmen and businesses use to make their stuff is often from outside the US. It's a big interconnected world these days, so my goal is to keep locals in business to the best of my ability.

Guest areafiftyone

The big city part is key. We do try to buy locally as much as possible in town, especially fresh food in season. And I get bread from a local bakery as often as possible. But even the things local craftsmen and businesses use to make their stuff is often from outside the US. It's a big interconnected world these days, so my goal is to keep locals in business to the best of my ability.

Really depresses the heck out of me when I see small local businesses go out. I think it's wonderful that you try to keep locals in business. It means alot to their business and their families. We have this new guy who just opened up a pizza place in my area of Queens - he moved here from having a store at the world trade center site because he had no business after 9/11 - it just went downhill. We got to talking to him and had a slice on his opening day... we loved it and went all around the town giving him kudos by word of mouth and we also buy his stuff when we get the craving for pizza. Needless to say -he's doing really really well (I'm not saying its because of us but I'm sure it helped a tiny bit to praise his pizza to people in the area). He's a nice guy who just wants to provide for his family. Small businesses are really important.

NCTexan!

Speaking of New Guinea, are you going to buy a koteka? I understand the TSA may soon require it.

Running for cover.

Pepper!

No koteka for me... they chaff in the summer months. I gave them up years ago.

However, when I'm asked, "Boxers or Briefs"... I always answer, "Neither... Just me and my Thunderwear". BTW, It's not TSA approved.

comfort.jpg

Thunderwear... Made in the USA

Thunderwear is the only Holster that's made of double walled denim for abrasion resistance, with a moisture barrier to protect your weapon. Lightweight and machine washable. Again, all custom handcrafted one at a time In The 'USA'. - Old Brookville, New York 11545

NCTexan!

Speaking of New Guinea, are you going to buy a koteka? I understand the TSA may soon require it.

Running for cover.

Pepper!

No koteka for me... they chaff in the summer months. I gave them up years ago.

However, when I'm asked, "Boxers or Briefs"... I always answer, "Neither... Just me and my Thunderwear". BTW, It's not TSA approved.

snip

Know what you mean about the koteka. I couldn't find a gourd big enough.

BTW, that Thunderwear could be just the ticket to take out a bad guy on a plane.