Bush’s Decision Points

Geee

bush-s-idecision-points-michael-barone
National Review:

George W. Bush is sitting on a hotel sofa in front of a south-facing window on a sunny November morning. His presidential memoir, Decision Points, is No. 1 on Amazon and is expected to be No. 1 on the New York Times bestseller list. “I’ve got a very comfortable life,” he says.

Decision Points, as the title suggests, does not purport to be the full story of Bush’s life or his administration. It “provides data points for future historians.”

Contrary to stereotype, Bush admits some serious errors up front. He failed to see the “house of cards” in the financial sector that led to the crisis of September 2008. He should have addressed the immigration issues rather than the Social Security issue when he had political capital from his 2004 reelection victory. He should have stayed in Baton Rouge or returned to Washington rather than fly over New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, and he should have deployed active-duty troops earlier to keep order.
Against this list, he also takes time to spotlight accomplishments that neither his supporters nor his critics have been talking much about. He argues that his decision to fund experiments using only embryonic stem cells obtained from existing lines has been vindicated by advances in research on adult and other non-embryonic stem cells.snip

He argues that his decision to fund experiments using only embryonic stem cells obtained from existing lines has been vindicated by advances in research on adult and other non-embryonic stem cells.snip

This is true. It's amazing how all these advances are kept hidden from people. They don't want the general public to know that they have moved on from embryonic stem cells.

I have the book but haven't read it yet. I have enjoyed all GWB's interviews. He looks so relaxed and 10 years younger than when he was in the WH. He still hasn't changed though. He won't criticize Obama and won't fight back from all the garbage continuously thrown at him from the DNC. It's really sad because nobody in the GOP will defend him either.

He argues that his decision to fund experiments using only embryonic stem cells obtained from existing lines has been vindicated by advances in research on adult and other non-embryonic stem cells.snip

This is true. It's amazing how all these advances are kept hidden from people. They don't want the general public to know that they have moved on from embryonic stem cells.

I have the book but haven't read it yet. I have enjoyed all GWB's interviews. He looks so relaxed and 10 years younger than when he was in the WH. He still hasn't changed though. He won't criticize Obama and won't fight back from all the garbage continuously thrown at him from the DNC. It's really sad because nobody in the GOP will defend him either.

I agree Stella! And you know what, I guess defending him will fall on the shoulders of people like you and I and many other great folks in my life. We adore GWB, even when we disagreed with him and will defend him for the rest of our lives. We happily take that on as our responsibility—to defend the man who defended us.

Somehow, I think that means more to him anyway. ;)

shoutStella shoutGee shoutPollyannaish

Good points. He briefly was asked about his religious views with Steve Doocey on Fox today. Really nicely done.

The interviews with GWB are like a soothing brook in the meadows. Listening to Obama hector from the teleprompter is like listening to nails on the blackboard.

GWB has quiet dignity and class (from his mother and from Laura). Something unattainable by Obama. Boy, that's gotta tick him off.

The interviews with GWB are like a soothing brook in the meadows. Listening to Obama hector from the teleprompter is like listening to nails on the blackboard.

GWB has quiet dignity and class (from his mother and from Laura). Something unattainable by Obama. Boy, that's gotta tick him off.

Nothing like the "Audacity of a Dope".

He'll probably have to write another book to try to top GWB now.

audacity-1.jpg