Avoid social issues, GOP urged

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
45110.html
Politico:

A gay conservative group and some Tea Party leaders are campaigning to keep social issues off the Republican agenda.

In a letter to be released Monday, the group GOProud and leaders from groups like the Tea Party Patriots and the New American Patriots, will urge Republicans in the House and Senate to keep their focus on shrinking the government.

"On behalf of limited-government conservatives everywhere, we write to urge you and your colleagues in Washington to put forward a legislative agenda in the next Congress that reflects the principles of the Tea Party movement," they write to presumptive House Speaker John Boehner and Senate GOP leader Mitch McConnell in an advance copy provided to POLITICO. "This election was not a mandate for the Republican Party, nor was it a mandate to act on any social issue."

The letter's signatories range from GOProud's co-founder and Chairman Christopher Barron — a member of a group encouraging Dick Cheney to run for president — to Tea Party leaders with no particular interest in the gay rights movement.

As of Sunday evening, the letter had 17 signatories. They include tea party organizers, conservative activists and media personalities from across the country, including radio host Tammy Bruce, bloggers Bruce Carroll, Dan Blatt and Doug Welch, and various local coordinators for the Tea Party Patriots and other tea party groups.

"When they were out in the Boston Harbor, they weren't arguing about who was gay or who was having an abortion," said Ralph King, a letter signatory who is a Tea Party Patriots national leadership council member, as well as an Ohio co-coordinator.

King said he signed onto the letter because GOProud seemed to be genuine in pushing for fiscal conservatism and limited government.

"Am I going to be the best man at a same sex-marriage wedding? That's not something I necessarily believe in," said King. "I look at myself as pretty socially conservative. But that's not what we push through the Tea Party Patriots."

That indifference is essentially the point of the gay conservative group.

"For almost two years now, the tea party has been laser-focused on the size of government," said Barron, who said his group and the tea partiers are part of the "leave-me-alone coalition."

"No one has been talking about social issues - not even the socially conservative candidates who won tea party support," Barron said.
________

A more libertarian GOP? Jim DeMint will not be pleased....

Are they crazy?

Ernst!

"Get used to disappointment!"

"GOP?......I don't think it means what you think it means....."

I know what the GOP is. The GOP have taken my time and treasure in advancement of the GOP values, causes and candidates.I have the awards to back it up.I am deciding whether to wear my medals to Thanksgiving dinner.Then people off the street can ask me about them.I can say I owed it to SrWoodchuck for bring them out of the cabinet

Are they crazy?

Ernst!

"Get used to disappointment!"

"GOP?......I don't think it means what you think it means....."

I know what the GOP is. The GOP have taken my time and treasure in advancement of the GOP values, causes and candidates.I have the awards to back it up.I am deciding whether to wear my medals to Thanksgiving dinner.Then people off the street can ask me about them.I can say I owed it to SrWoodchuck for bring them out of the cabinet

Gee Ernst, that's so swell. I'm sure most people will be thinking about a "turkey."

I'm no Morris or Carvile, but I do have a minor in PoliSci. The House GOP needs to remember they're on double-secret probation with the voters, and they weren't elected two weeks ago to rehash Roe vs. Wade right now. The only thing voters want is to stop the spending, fix taxes(which will create jobs), and get rid of Obambicare.

Once those things are accomplished, then you can wade into social issues.

I'm no Morris or Carvile, but I do have a minor in PoliSci. The House GOP needs to remember they're on double-secret probation with the voters, and they weren't elected two weeks ago to rehash Roe vs. Wade right now. The only thing voters want is to stop the spending, fix taxes(which will create jobs), and get rid of Obambicare.

The GOP knows in both chamnbers.They got the message.Expect allot of contention between the White House and Congress. But expect some issues like the Bush taxes for the White House to acquiesce.

The GOP knows in both chamnbers.They got the message.Expect allot of contention between the White House and Congress. But expect some issues like the Bush taxes for the White House to acquiesce.

Exactly! Get what you can as fast as possible, then concentrate on other issues.

BTW: Ernst, I ordered that 'Red Dwarf' collection last night. It should be here by this weekend. :)

Guest areafiftyone

Personally I think they need to concentrate on the bigger issues (Economy, smaller government,etc.) The feelings about social issues vary from state to state - You will never be able to satisfy everyone on social issues. They need not even approach it at this time especially with the economy in the dumpster.

If you want to get scared and see what happens when you talk about social issues on websites - check out this article on FR site - the owner got on the thread and zotted a few people with the charming words "FU Troll". This alone shows you that social issues are too divisive and should be done on the state level.

Couple of points, consider the source - Politico. Lots of man-purses on the staff. This is another attempt to divide what should be a united front to boot the Dems out.

One can easily frame almost any controversial issue as a social or value issue. Obama's nanny healthcare, granting amnesty to illegals, big government, unlimited welfare to able bodied persons.

Athough I am in agreement with shoutareafiftyone :wub: that there are more important issues economy and national security the voters in November 2010 were also angry about the intrusion of government in every area of what are personal choices / and states' rights. That's a second reason they kicked RINOS and RATS out in November in such numbers.

But short of SCOTUS decisions setting limits or recognizing states' rights to limit them within their own jurisdiction, these moral social issues will always be with us. So get the economy and national security issues addressed first and then agree that the other issues are states' rights to decide.

But short of SCOTUS decisions setting limits or recognizing states' rights to limit them within their own jurisdiction, these moral social issues will always be with us. So get the economy and national security issues addressed first and then agree that the other issues are states' rights to decide.

I think our strategy should be to focus on the big stuff...but not dodge the questions on the social stuff when it comes up. Candidates should answer directly and succinctly, and then immediately refocus the discussion back to the big stuff.

Guest areafiftyone

I think our strategy should be to focus on the big stuff...but not dodge the questions on the social stuff when it comes up. Candidates should answer directly and succinctly, and then immediately refocus the discussion back to the big stuff.

I totally agree.