Are you willing to trust Facebook with your email?

ErnstBlofeld

are-you-willing-to-trust-facebook-with-your-email
Yahoo News/Ben Patterson:

Facebook has called another press event, slated for next week—and based on the oh-so-subtle decorations on the invites, many believe that Mark Zuckerberg & Co. are poised to unleash a so-called "Gmail killer." But are we truly ready to turn our inboxes over to Facebook?

The latest word on Monday morning's briefing is that we'll get our first look at Project Titan—the code name for what is reputedly a secret Facebook project aimed at creating a full-on Web-based email client to rival such competitors as Gmail, Hotmail and (of course) Yahoo! Mail. (You've noticed that Yahoo! News—which hosts this blog—and Yahoo! Mail are owned by the same company, right?)

Inside Facebook headquarters, Project Titan is being called a "Gmail killer," TechCrunch reports. Many believe that the rumored email project could help explain the recent flap between Facebook and Google over Facebook's unwillingness to allow its users to export their friends lists—and their contact info—into Gmail.

Assuming the rumors are true—and remember, there's no official word from Facebook yet—what might we be talking about here?

Facebook already has its own bare-bones client for exchanging private messages with your Facebook friends, but it's pretty basic. You can't import e-mail from other clients or POP accounts, organize your messages into folders, or archive them for safekeeping; your only options are to mark a message as unread, report spam or delete.

snip

Hmmm. Well, I already trust them with my email to some extent, since you use it to sign up with.

I actually have no problem with this. I will say that I've gotten to the point that I in the process of separating out what email accounts I use for which things (ie ordering online, signing up for free stuff, communicating with friends, applying for jobs), and then have them all report to the same inbox because I want to be able to control how cluttered my email box gets with business generated spam.

I wish FB good luck with this.

I do not trust them. There server is not secured and they still have many problems already in regards to the site.The nice thing is that I receive Gmail e-mail on my cell phone.Another thing about G-Mail is that the storage capacity is growing. It has 25 MG already and still growing

Gmail Rules,

I might be one of the few people left who doesn't have a Facebook account.

I just don't have an urge to splash my life all over the 'net. Call me old fashioned, but I like my privacy. B)

I just don't have an urge to splash my life all over the 'net. Call me old fashioned, but I like my privacy. B)

Facebook is a novelty. It is good if you want to contact old flames and old friends. But its gets tiring. Why should I trust an web page with my e-mails when they have severe security problems.A good example, is Virginia Tech's Facebook Killer.There were no saftey guards on Facebook to stop that man.

I only keep in touch with 2-3 of my old frat brothers, and just one of them regularly(he lives in Nebraska now, and we talk about the Saints). No ex-girlfriend is worth the headaches I'd get. Other than that, if I want to talk to family, there's a phone, and my neighbors are next door.

I just don't find a reason to have a Facebook account. I'm more than happy with my e-mail account, so it seems redundant to me as I've tried running multiple accounts before, and it was too much a waste of time, IMHO.

The ONLY reason I signed up for FB was because of the TPM. They were posting the info on the rallies in downtown Chicago on FB.

I don't understand why anyone would want to run a daily diary on FB. That's what a lot of people do. They let all the burglars know the minute they leave their homes for trips and put every detail of their lives on FB which gets put on everyone's page who is their friend.

My credit card number was stolen and I was able to trace it to ITUNES. They had a breach of security. Thank goodness it was my Amer Ex card that I have had for 40 years. They stopped the sale immediately on AutoTrader, canceled my card and sent me a new one in 24 hours. I could see the same thing happening on FB.

Stella

Say, what was that Amex number again?

Let me make sure it doesn't work.

:lol:

The ONLY reason I signed up for FB was because of the TPM. They were posting the info on the rallies in downtown Chicago on FB.

I don't understand why anyone would want to run a daily diary on FB. That's what a lot of people do. They let all the burglars know the minute they leave their homes for trips and put every detail of their lives on FB which gets put on everyone's page who is their friend.

My credit card number was stolen and I was able to trace it to ITUNES. They had a breach of security. Thank goodness it was my Amer Ex card that I have had for 40 years. They stopped the sale immediately on AutoTrader, canceled my card and sent me a new one in 24 hours. I could see the same thing happening on FB.

shoutAcerimmer

Let's start a People Without a Facebook Page

You and I make two. It could be quite exclusive.

:rolleyes:

Well, I have a facebook account and am one of the few in the world that will admit to the fact I like it.

Here is my story:

My husband and I were complete hold outs and we'd told our children that they couldn't participate unless we were there also. In the meantime our entire extended family was saying how much easier it would be if we were there.

One day, our kids came to us and said "We've tried not to ask you guys for a lot over the years, but not being on fb is cramping our social lives and we wondered if we could join." They were right. So we all piled in.

It's been a good thing. We don't plaster our lives all over the place, but our children do communicate with their friends and their dad and I have been blessed to get to watch them in the "natural habitat." They regularly make us laugh and we ejoy seeing another side of them.

I've also had the privilege of reconnecting with high school and college friends on a low-maintenance basis, keep track of ex-students successes and "opportunities for learning," and can keep in touch with ex-colleagues. I find it far less intrusive in my life than trying to keep up with people via email or snail mail. I can read what is going on, respond as appropriate and watch far away family and friends children and careers grow without feeling the obligation to respond immediately, or guilt if I can't. I have a lot of acquaintances and extended family in my life and have ended up with over 350 fb connections. There are many more people that pop up now and then and I'm still making those reconnections.

From a commercial point of view, I can get notices from my favorite local business on specials they are running, new people associated with their business and challenges they might be facing. One good example of this is a beloved local business that is fighting the city over a mural on the front of their building. I can keep track of their progress and their side of the story without having to go through the filter of the local, extremely biased newspaper.

We also understand that we are not FB's customers, but instead their commodity and behave in a way that takes that into consideration.

I guess my point is, that I am not a person who will wax poetic about FB, but appreciate what it does well for me. It keeps me connected to people I care about, but are not in my inner circle of close friends and family (which is big enough it can be a job in and of itself!) It's just one more tool in an arsenal of tools that simplifies my life and helps it run smoothly. It isn't what I'm telling other people that matters to me, it's what I'm learning from them.

Yes, credit card numbers and other information can be stolen online. In the olden days, this was called bank robbery, pickpocketing and being held up. It's the same thing that happened to us on the street, it's just done now in a nameless faceless way using our new tools. We have to take the same responsibility for our own safety online, as we did walking down dark streets in the middle of the night back in the day.

And here is my suspicion. Those people who ramble on incessantly about ever detail of their lives on Facebook are probably the same people who would do exactly the same thing if you were sitting across from them at dinner. (FB plus...you can stay their friend, but put them on ignore so you don't have to get quite so much!) There is always that person who drinks too much at parties and inappropriately brags about it on Monday morning, or the person who is blindly obsessed with their own hobbies. That's just humanity and to be honest, humanity is my hobby so I enjoy it. In addition, I believe that who each of us is online is, over time, the same person we are in real life. We can't fake it here any better than we can fake it elsewhere.

I understand why people would choose not to participate. There are many people in life that don't know their neighbors and tend to be hermits aside from a small group of close friends. There are lots of introverts in this world! I get that, understand it and support it. Introverts are different from me, but just as important.

What I don't understand is why FB causes such hatred and why there is a "character flaw" judgement tossed around regarding those who do use it. FB is nothing new. It is simply a virtual neighborhood where people chatter among themselves. You don't have to be friends with anyone you don't want to be, heck, you don't have to even be there! But FB is a virtual representation of the neighborhoods people used to live in before we all moved away from our families. It is a snapshot of a time when a person grew up and stayed and their hometown. It is, in a funny way, a throw back to yesterday because the times dictate we are separated much more now. Facebook is not a character flaw, but a different way of communicating with the people in your life. And like the old Faberge commercials, someone has figured out a way to monetize that power. I'll be honest...I wish it had been me!

Each can participate or not. It may not be your cup of tea, but FB is not the devil and its users Satan spawn. We're just a bunch of folks who like catching up over the back fence...and are willing to "pay" for that privilege.

/Frustrated grown up FB user who is tired of being ridiculed for it. :lol:

Pollyshout, I was about to post something quite similar. So thank you for allowing me to just say, DITTO to what Polly said.

I do not often post on FB, but read and see (via picture posts) what my family and friends are up to. I have my account pretty well locked down so do not feel I am sharing any part of my life with the rest of the world!

I would like to drag you naysayers kicking and screaming into the 21st century and have you give it a try. I'll bet you would be as shocked, as I was, how inactive you can be there, and yet how much comfortable information you would receive and enjoy.

I, too, agree with pollya. I like seeing the photos far away family members post and read their comments. I sometimes comment but rarely post. You can do as much or as little as you want, and if you end up with someone annoying you can click "ignore" and you don't see their posts anymore. It's really not a big deal but sometimes fun.