Dem leadership race turns bitter as Clyburn, Hoyer exchange barbs

Geee

128417-clyburn-criticizes-hoyer-tactics-in-leadership-race
The Hill:

Dem leadership race turns bitter as Clyburn, Hoyer exchange barbs
By Mike Lillis and Alexander Bolton - 11/09/10 02:45 PM ET
Rep. James Clyburn said Rep. Steny Hoyer’s tactics are breaking with tradition and making Democrats uncomfortable.

The comments are the first hint of bitterness between Rep. James Clyburn (D-S.C.) and Rep. Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) as the two Democratic heavyweights vie for the minority whip spot in the next Congress. The contest was initiated after Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said last week she wants to keep her position as party leader despite the Democrats’ trouncing in the midterm elections.

Clyburn, currently the majority whip, said Hoyer’s strategy of releasing the names of his supporters is threatening a process that’s historically “about respecting and honoring” fellow Democrats.

“This is not about playing the numbers game,” Clyburn told The Hill. “This is about respecting and honoring the members of our caucus in such a way that they will be comfortable with the process.
“I don’t see how you maintain a comfort level for all of our members by rolling out these names. I don’t think it does the process any real good. I’ve never done it, I’m not going to do it."snip