She made me do it: Conservative Muslim Indonesia minister says Michelle Obama forced handshake

Pepper

sns-ap-as-indonesia-michelles-handshake,0,1392581.story
LA Times:

She made me do it: Conservative Muslim Indonesia minister says Michelle Obama forced handshake

By Associated Press
November 9, 2010|10:50 a.m.

JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) — A conservative Muslim government minister admits he shook hands with first lady Michelle Obama in welcoming her to Indonesia but says it wasn't his choice.

Footage on YouTube shows otherwise, sparking a debate that has lit up Facebook, Twitter and the rest of the blogosphere.

"I tried to prevent (being touched) with my hands but Mrs. Michelle held her hands too far toward me (so) we touched," Information Minister Tifatul Sembiring told tens of thousands of followers on Twitter.

snip

Indonesian minister says he shook first lady's hand — by accident
Official, known for flaunting his piety, says touch wasn't by choice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKrYihkgOSE

Minister Tifatul Sembiring's hand touched around 1'10". He sure did grab her extended hand, however.

In the civilized world, men and women can shake hands without any negative effects. I'm not any kind of fan of Mechelle's, but good on her for this one gesture.

Sanguine! I have no issue with Michelle. She did the proper thing, IMHO.

Tifatul Sembiring has made a name for himself by remaining 'pure' and not touching not related to him, however.

How's that for a first name?

Guest areafiftyone

Good for Michelle - Muslims think women are beneath them - I'm glad she showed them what's what. One kudo for Michelle! :P

righteousmomma

I just saw the video and it CLEARLY shows the most righteous Muslim reaching for Michelle's hand and clasping it in both of his and he was wearing a grin from ear to ear.

I just saw the video and it CLEARLY shows the most righteous Muslim reaching for Michelle's hand and clasping it in both of his and he was wearing a grin from ear to ear.

The bastid....

:lol:

I saw the same thing. This isn't about shaking hands with Michelle Obambi, it's about CYA so some radical imam in Indonesia doesn't declare a fatwa on him. :blink: