Paul Unlikely to Block Obama Troop Decisions on Afghanistan

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
rand-paul-congress-consider-cuts-military-budget
Fox News:

WASHINGTON -- Providing some clarity on his opinion of the war in Afghanistan, Sen.-elect Rand Paul, R-Ky., said Sunday that Tea Partiers support strong national security efforts but he probably wouldn't get in the way of President Obama's decision to reduce troops in Afghanistan.

Saying he needs to learn more about current operations in Afghanistan, the Kentucky Republican, who had been vague on the campaign trail about his position on the war, said he wants to know whether the U.S. is still threatened by Afghanistan. But troop levels are the president's domain.

"What I think is that ultimately troop deployments are decided by the president, not by Congress. I don't think really Congress can decide troop levels. In fact, I think if Congress told him to bring all of them home on a certain time, I think he can do what he wants constitutionally," Paul said.

The senator-elect added that the Constitution outlines national defense as a top priority for the federal government, but he wants to learn whether a large ground war in Afghanistan is providing U.S. the defense it needs.

"What I would say is, do we need to be there in a large ground war? Or could we be there on a smaller base ... After 10 years, I think the Afghans need to have stepped up more to do more. And if you ask our G.I.s, when I asked them from Kentucky leaving the base, I say, 'Are the Afghans stepping up enough? Would you rather the Afghans do more of the patrolling on the streets?' Every one of these young brave men and women will tell you, 'Yes.' So the mood is changing even within those who are the brave young men and women that are serving our country," Paul said.
________

The American people won't support our staying in Afghanistan indefinitely without a clear agenda or exit strategy. IMO, Paul is right to ask serious questions about what we are doing there, and how long it should continue.

said he wants to know whether the U.S. is still threatened by Afghanistan.

This shows a sever lack of knowledge about who we are fighting, why we are fighting in Afghanistan. Al Qaeda thrives in the dark disconnected places in the world.

I wonder if Senator Elect Paul knows how long it takes to fly from Kabul to Louisville? (hint: it's about 14 hours.)