John McCain looks bad in George W. Bush's book

Geee

44781.html
Politico:

Sen. John McCain never asked then-President George W. Bush to campaign for him in 2008, though Bush thinks he could have helped the Arizona senator.

In his forthcoming memoir, “Decision Points,” Bush explores his “complex relationship” with McCain.

“I understood he had to establish his independence,” Bush wrote. “I thought it looked defensive for John to distance himself from me. I was confident I could have helped him make his case. But the decision was his. I was disappointed I couldn’t do more to help him.”

The 43rd president suggests his opponent for the Republican nomination in 2000 blew an opportunity to capitalize politically on the financial crisis eight years later. Without saying it explicitly, Bush portrays then-Sen. Barack Obama as more presidential than McCain in his handling of the financial crisis.

Bush’s approval rating bottomed out at 25 percent the week before the 2008 election. While he left office as one of the most unpopular presidents ever, Bush remained relatively popular with some elements of the GOP’s conservative base. It was partly a need to shore up this right flank that pushed McCain toward elevating Sarah Palin from obscure Alaska governor to his running mate.snip

I hope the GOP learns its lessons from the disastrous election of McCain in the Primary--but I doubt it. They will once again elect someone who doesn't have a chance to win the General and who is not even supported by the majority of Republicans or Independents. :(

I hope the GOP learns its lessons from the disastrous election of McCain in the Primary--but I doubt it. They will once again elect someone who doesn't have a chance to win the General and who is not even supported by the majority of Republicans or Independents. :(

I agree.. Well if it wasn't for Huck and Fred, McCain would have lost.

I agree.. Well if it wasn't for Huck and Fred, McCain would have lost.

The next time it will be cross over Democrats if Obama is on the ballot. I still remember Rush telling people to cross over and vote for Hillary last election. Well, the Dems will do it big time next election.

btw, I think Huck will do it again. And we have not even mentioned the Romneybots from the last election. I have always liked Romney but his supporters are fanatics just like the Ron Paul fans.

righteousmomma

The next time it will be cross over Democrats if Obama is on the ballot. I still remember Rush telling people to cross over and vote for Hillary last election. Well, the Dems will do it big time next election.

It was called Operation Chaos and later the Limbaugh Effect"

:

Republicans voting in the Democratic primary in order to undermine Barack Obama and help John McCain. ... In the voting during January and February, Republicans were an average of 3.8% of the voters in the Democratic Primary, and they heavily supported Obama. But for the primaries in March, in Texas, Ohio, and Mississippi, Republicans have been 8% of the voters in the Democratic primary, and now they heavily support Hillary Clinton. This is definite proof of the 'Limbaugh Effect' coming through."

Then you go to the last paragraph. "Rarely in American politics have so many people ever intentionally voted for a candidate they hate so much. Approximately 40,000 Republicans in Mississippi decided to vote for Hillary Clinton in order to help her destroy the Democratic Party this year with a divided convention. Hillary Clinton's 'big wins' in March failed to help her close the delegate gap, and she cannot possibly win the pledged delegate race against Obama. The only hope for Hillary Clinton is that Republican voters will help her reduce the gap against Obama, and that the superdelegates will somehow be convinced to obey the will of Rush Limbaugh and his acolytes by stealing the election from the legitimate voters."

I have always liked Romney but his supporters are fanatics just like the Ron Paul fans.

Well, considering many of us here at TRR were Romney supporters after all was said and done I don't know a single fanatic that posts here.

IF he is the choice again I will still support him readily but there are several other better choices this time around imo.

What say ye --Who is your guy or gal?

IMHO One of the mistakes Hannity made was create the Stop Hillary Express. It should have been Stop Obama Express from the git go.

Hillary would have been a preferable White House occupant as opposed to the current denizen.

YMMV

Since I've been old enough to follow politics, I've only seen two more disastrous Presidential campaigns than McCain's: Mondale in '84 and Dukakis in '88(I was too young to remember George McGovern getting shredded by Nixon in '72).

Carter and Dole both had more life than McCain's campaign when they lost. Still, disasters are disasters... :rolleyes:

It was called Operation Chaos and later the Limbaugh Effect"

:

Republicans voting in the Democratic primary in order to undermine Barack Obama and help John McCain. ... In the voting during January and February, Republicans were an average of 3.8% of the voters in the Democratic Primary, and they heavily supported Obama. But for the primaries in March, in Texas, Ohio, and Mississippi, Republicans have been 8% of the voters in the Democratic primary, and now they heavily support Hillary Clinton. This is definite proof of the 'Limbaugh Effect' coming through."

Then you go to the last paragraph. "Rarely in American politics have so many people ever intentionally voted for a candidate they hate so much. Approximately 40,000 Republicans in Mississippi decided to vote for Hillary Clinton in order to help her destroy the Democratic Party this year with a divided convention. Hillary Clinton's 'big wins' in March failed to help her close the delegate gap, and she cannot possibly win the pledged delegate race against Obama. The only hope for Hillary Clinton is that Republican voters will help her reduce the gap against Obama, and that the superdelegates will somehow be convinced to obey the will of Rush Limbaugh and his acolytes by stealing the election from the legitimate voters."

I have always liked Romney but his supporters are fanatics just like the Ron Paul fans.

Well, considering many of us here at TRR were Romney supporters after all was said and done I don't know a single fanatic that posts here.

IF he is the choice again I will still support him readily but there are several other better choices this time around imo.

What say ye --Who is your guy or gal?

I have learned over the years not to get too excited about potential candidates until they actually announce that they are running for President. It's not worth the effort and it's still too far out. I have always liked Romney who seems to understand economics and has actually turned a business around (the Olympics). He has way too much baggage now because of Romneycare. He also had a bad haircut when I saw him last week. :D

I personally found it ironic that McCain was a victim of his own campaign finance "reform" legislation. After allowing himself to be locked into public financing (which is limited) without being sure to make sure "The One" did the same, he severly hobbled his campaign.

If we can hold the current political trend for a few more months, (and, of course, survive Zero's second semester) it can be said that the 2008 campaign was the best thing that could have happened for the conservative movement.