Quinn says he has 'mandate' for tax increase

Geee

ct-met-quinn-tax-increase-20101106,0,2735375.story
Chicago Tribune:

Gov. Pat Quinn may have won the governor's race by the narrowest margin in nearly three decades, but he's not letting that stop him from claiming he now has a "mandate" from voters to raise the state income tax for schools.

"I think our message of investing in education was supported by the people," Quinn told the Tribune. "I think that is a really strong mandate that I got. I know from the campaign, people made that pretty clear to me, and I think the election returns said the same thing."

But there is little evidence in Springfield that the Democratic governor will get his tax hike soon. Some Democrats say powerful House Speaker Michael Madigan, who was unenthusiastic about Quinn's plan before the election, has seen little indication that lawmakers have changed their mind.

House majority leader Rep. Barbara Flynn Currie, D-Chicago, said she has not polled House members since the election, but noted that earlier this year, only 47 of the needed 60 votes were there.snip

The only mandate he got to raise taxes were from the large amount of people paying no state taxes. Meanwhile, you can hear the thunder of businesses and people who actually pay taxes leaving the state. Democrats truly live in an alternate universe.

He barely squeeked by-where does he figure that's a mandate?

It was thanks to the unions and the state workers that he squeaked by. There is no way he is going to ask them to take cuts or renegotiate contracts. It's just easier to have everyone who doesn't belong to a Union pay dearly to live in the state of Illinois.

Brady could have - should have run a better campaign. All the politicians rely on campaign ads instead of going out and talking to the people. Brady could have even paid for ad time just to talk to the people and tell them what he will do. Brady is from downstate and didn't really make much of an effort to campaign in Cook County suburbs beyond token appearances. People had no idea who he was or what he stood for, and that was his downfall iMHO

Quinn from day one of the campaign told people everyone's state taxes will go up 33%. If I hear anyone complain about their taxes, especially a Democrat, I will.....do something like scream or laugh in their faces :rolleyes:

He barely squeeked by-where does he figure that's a mandate?

It was thanks to the unions and the state workers that he squeaked by. There is no way he is going to ask them to take cuts or renegotiate contracts. It's just easier to have everyone who doesn't belong to a Union pay dearly to live in the state of Illinois.

Brady could have - should have run a better campaign. All the politicians rely on campaign ads instead of going out and talking to the people. Brady could have even paid for ad time just to talk to the people and tell them what he will do. Brady is from downstate and didn't really make much of an effort to campaign in Cook County suburbs beyond token appearances. People had no idea who he was or what he stood for, and that was his downfall iMHO

Quinn from day one of the campaign told people everyone's state taxes will go up 33%. If I hear anyone complain about their taxes, especially a Democrat, I will.....do something like scream or laugh in their faces :rolleyes:

If the taxes do increase I'm afraid that my company may move out of Illinois.. I just don't know where.

You are right about Brady he did a lousy job campaign and he should have taken on both Quinn and Cohen..