Opinion: Juan Williams, NPR and the Death of Liberalism

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
AOL News:

(Oct. 22) -- So my fellow Fox News analyst Juan Williams just got fired for saying something supposedly controversial about Muslims. But make no mistake, Juan isn't the only casualty today. So is American liberalism.

On "The O'Reilly Factor" on Monday night, Williams said, "I mean, look, Bill, I'm not a bigot. You know the kind of books I've written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous."

And this is a fireable offense?

NPR issued a statement saying Williams' comments "were inconsistent with our editorial standards and practices, and undermined his credibility as a news analyst with NPR."

Here's a bulletin, NPR: Lots and lots and lots of Americans feel the same way as Juan Williams. And that includes lots and lots of liberals. And probably a lot of liberals who work at NPR. Juan's "crime" wasn't that he said something bigoted. His crime is that he said something that liberals find politically incorrect. And that he said it out loud. And worst of all, that he said it on the Fox News Channel.

In liberal circles this is nothing less than a crime against humanity!

What makes this so crazy -- and so sad -- is that liberals are the open-minded ones, the ones who cherish the free exchange of ideas, the smart ones. And if you don't believe me, just ask any liberal, who will be glad to tell you how smart and open-minded he or she is. But these are the kind of people who believe in "free speech" only as long as they agree with you.
________

From Bill O'Reilly's confrontation with Whoopi Goldberg and kin on The View to this, liberalism's PC hypocrisy has been glaringly evident as of late.

WestVirginiaRebel

NPR Finally Finds An Excuse To Fire Juan Williams

Guy Benson

Mere moments before he uttered the words that ended his long and distinguished career at National Public Radio, Juan Williams foretold his own demise:

"I think political correctness can lead to some kind of paralysis where you don't address reality."

(Snip)

Many people have written, and will continue to write, far more eloquently about the implications of this disgraceful episode than I, but it's important to note that this kerfuffle says far more about NPR than it does about Juan Williams. (Disclosure: I have met Juan on several occasions and find him to be a kind, thoughtful, and serious person, even though we often disagree politically).

The truth is that NPR has been fishing for a pretext to terminate Williams for some time. In February of 2009, Williams -- again appearing on "The O'Reilly Factor" -- had the temerity to offer unflattering analysis of Michelle Obama as a political liability. This set off a firestorm among (literally) dozens of the bien pensants who populate NPR's boardroom and listening audience. In a melodramatic column, the radio network's ombudsman -- excuse me, ombudswoman -- chided Williams for his tendency to "speak one way on NPR and another on Fox." As I wrote at the time, tailoring one's style to his intended audience is Media 101. The network ultimately directed Williams to drop all on-screen mentions of their precious brand name during future "O'Reilly" appearances

(Snip)