Public Employees and Elections: A Conflict of Interest?

ErnstBlofeld

public-employees-and-elections-conflict-interest-pat-sajak
National Review/Pat Sajack:

None of my family and friends is allowed to appear on Wheel of Fortune. Same goes for my kids’ teachers or the guys who rotate my tires. If there’s not a real conflict of interest, there is, at least, the appearance of one. On another level, Supreme Court Justice Elena Kagan has recused herself from nearly half the cases this session due to her time as solicitor general. In nearly all private and public endeavors, there are occasions in which it’s only fair and correct that a person or group be barred from participating because that party could directly and unevenly benefit from decisions made and policies adopted. So should state workers be able to vote in state elections on matters that would benefit them directly? The same question goes for federal workers in federal elections.

I’m not suggesting that public employees should be denied the right to vote, but that there are certain cases in which their stake in the matter may be too great. Of course we all have a stake in one way or another in most elections, and many of us tend to vote in favor of our own interests. However, if, for example, a ballot initiative appears that might cap the benefits of a certain group of state workers, should those workers be able to vote on the matter? Plainly, their interests as direct recipients of the benefits are far greater than the interests of others whose taxes support such benefits. I realize this opens a Pandora’s box in terms of figuring out what constitutes a true conflict of interest, but, after all, isn’t opening those boxes Ricochet’s raison d’être?

Amen Pat!

My husband is a state employee, and forced to be in the union, since this is not a right to work state. I religiously read all union material that comes to our house and an absolutely appalled at how political it is. It does not mention other people in the state...or what might be good for the state at large. It focuses on voting for Democrats and issues that will pad the pockets of state employees. It is selfish and entitled in a way that is really ugly.