Paladino Apologizes for Comments Offensive to Gays, Lesbians

Guest areafiftyone

Guest areafiftyone
paladino-apologizes-for-comments-offensive-to-gays-lesbians.html
BUSINESSWEEK:

Oct. 12 (Bloomberg) -- Republican Carl Paladino, a candidate for New York governor, apologized for comments he made “that may have offended the gay and lesbian community.”

“Any reference to branding an entire community based on a small representation of them is wrong,” Paladino, 64, said today in an e-mailed statement. “I ask you for forgiveness on my poorly chosen words,” the Buffalo property developer said.

“I just think my children and your children would be much better off and much more successful getting married and raising a family, and I don’t want them brainwashed into thinking that homosexuality is an equally valid and successful option -- it isn’t,” Paladino said in an Oct. 10 speech to orthodox Jews, according to the New York Times. Yesterday, he said that while he supported equal rights he doesn’t believe that children should be exposed to events such as gay-pride parades.

snip

Guest areafiftyone

He is right to apologize especially in light of some pretty nasty crimes committed against gays in this city in the past months and just about a week ago, but it's too late for him now. It was the wrong thing to say at the wrong time. He's toast. He's a total embarrassment!

shoutAreafiftyone, I agree with your assessment of Paladino. I would add that he seems to be a loose cannon.

It is definitely too late for him now.

Guest areafiftyone

shoutAreafiftyone, I agree with your assessment of Paladino. I would add that he seems to be a loose cannon.

It's a shame because he had potential in the beginning. If he stuck to the issues he would maybe be at least even with Cuomo in the polls. The guy was only about 9 points away in one poll. Now he's about 20 points! Gay bashing is not needed here. Whether you care about the gay issue or not - whether you like gays or not- it is something that NY does not want to hear at this time. He's soooo off the mark on what we need to hear right now. When there is sooo much corruption in Albany - now it's going to stay there because we will now have Cuomo for Governor and he is part of the Albany corruption. I am so angry I could bust a gut!

It's a shame because he had potential in the beginning. If he stuck to the issues he would maybe be at least even with Cuomo in the polls. The guy was only about 9 points away in one poll. Now he's about 20 points! Gay bashing is not needed here. Whether you care about the gay issue or not - whether you like gays or not- it is something that NY does not want to hear at this time. He's soooo off the mark on what we need to hear right now. When there is sooo much corruption in Albany - now it's going to stay there because we will now have Cuomo for Governor and he is part of the Albany corruption. I am so angry I could bust a gut!

Doesn't it make you wonder what exactly was the motivation for his getting into the race. As a NYer, he must have known that people don't want to debate social issues.

He's running about 38 years too late. He should have run in '72, following the coattails of the Nixon-Agnew ticket. Paladino is without a doubt the worst gubernatorial candidate since David Duke in the infamous "Runoff from Hell" against Edwin Edwards(who's currently residing in Ft. Worth Federal Penitentiary) down here in Louisiana in '91.