Dems Attack GOP's Proposals for Private-Sector Health Care for Veterans

Sabre86

republicans-accused-wanting-privatize-veterans-health-care
Fox News:

Democrats are trying to hold down Republican gains in this November's elections by hitting them where it hurts -- questioning their loyalty to the nation's veterans.

Though taxes, spending and the economic slump have been the dominant themes this election year, several Republicans have riffed on the small-government themes of the Tea Party movement by suggesting veterans be allowed to seek a portion of their medical care through the private system. In some case, they've hinted at it; in others, they've outright proposed it.

And while Democrats have been reluctant to campaign on their sweeping health care overhaul, which will eventually provide millions in government subsidies, they've been more eager to slam any Republican as heartless and irresponsible for proposing plans to "privatize" the veterans health system -- if not the Department of Veterans Affairs altogether.

The issue has emerged front-and-center in the 17th Congressional District race in Texas, where Rep. Chet Edwards, a Democrat, is battling Republican challenger Bill Flores.

Edwards is hammering Flores over a comment he made during a debate in January in which he said veterans would be "much better off" if they could see doctors in the private system and then have the government pay for it.

I live in Texas District 17, and on every channel, in almost every commercial break, there is a Chet Edwards commercial, claiming that Bill Flores wants to get rid of the VA.

Now the Texas media has become blatantly pro-Edwards. They are now running stories trying to claim that Flores defrauded the government when a company he worked for went bankrupt.

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Dallas_Morning_News_Bankruptcy_of_Edwards_challenger_Bill_Flores_business_cost_taxpayers_75_million_104579794.html

I think most pundits have agreed that since the D's have nothing to run on, they will try to lambaste the R's with any negative they can find or make up.

I will say this, this is the first time I've seen signs which say "This Vet is NOT for Chet." Usually there are hundreds of "Vets for Chet" all over the place.

For anyone who has seen Edwards' previous campaigns, he runs on three things, helping the VA, being pro-military, and how much money he brings to Texas A&M.

This year he is still doing that, including an add which says if you don't vote for Edwards and work for Texas A&M you will lose your job. He is also going negative with 1/2 truths and outright lies over and over.

I will say this, this is the first time I've seen signs which say "This Vet is NOT for Chet." Usually there are hundreds of "Vets for Chet" all over the place.

For anyone who has seen Edwards' previous campaigns, he runs on three things, helping the VA, being pro-military, and how much money he brings to Texas A&M.

This year he is still doing that, including an add which says if you don't vote for Edwards and work for Texas A&M you will lose your job. He is also going negative with 1/2 truths and outright lies over and over.

The RAT surge that they've been bragging about for the last couple of weeks is apparently another outright lie. Today, the White House raised the bar so high for the GOP on November 2 that even if the RATS lose the House and Senate, it will still be spun as a collossal failure for the Republicans.

That tells me they know how bad it's going to be...

The RAT surge that they've been bragging about for the last couple of weeks is apparently another outright lie. Today, the White House raised the bar so high for the GOP on November 2 that even if the RATS lose the House and Senate, it will still be spun as a collossal failure for the Republicans.

That tells me they know how bad it's going to be...

I guess they have to put a brave face in front of the Dims. Wonder how Harry and Nancy are sleeping nowadays? :)