GOP Finds a Heavyweight

Guest areafiftyone

Guest areafiftyone
NY POST:

Between blowing his top and acting like "a junk yard dog," gubernatorial candidate Carl Paladino has been quietly trying to land the most coveted Republican accolade of the season -- an endorsement from New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.

He must wait in a very long line.

This election season, the Garden State governor has received about 100 requests for endorsements. Republicans running for county offices in Ohio even write in, asking for his support.

It's a level of political superstardom currently enjoyed on the right only by Sarah Palin -- but unlike that of the controversial Alaskan former governor, no Republican would back away from a Christie endorsement.

Christie is unlikely to come out and stump for Paladino, according to a source. But it's no surprise that New York's self-proclaimed "junkyard dog" is eager for the seal of approval. Like Paladino, Christie is "mad as hell" -- but he has turned that anger into a winning strategy.

The rumpled, rude and charismatic Christie has become an unlikely standard bearer of the GOP, preaching his "take no union prisoners" motto from Pennsylvania to California.

Christie has had one meeting with the union's president since taking office, Wollmer said. During his campaign, Christie told a Post reporter, essentially, why would he bother?

Former Mayor Rudy Giuliani, who considers himself the original political pit bull, told The Post he takes some credit for Christie's style.

"What's making him popular is that he's not afraid to be called a bully. I used to be proud to be called a bully, and Christie would call me and tell me, 'I'm going to do it just the way you did.'

snip

"He just belittles people at every turn," fumed Steve Wollmer, communications director for the New Jersey Education Association. "He is so disrespectful to teachers. If that sells on the national stage, this country's in worse shape than we thought. He doesn't return phone calls, he doesn't want to meet with us, and he demonizes us every day."

Between my thumb and index finger, is the smallest violin in the world and I'm playing it for the whiners in teacher's unions all over the country. :rolleyes:

Guest areafiftyone

Don't like the cheap shot about his weight for the title! BUT... at least Christie is open to trying to lose. I give him credit. Stressful jobs like his make it hard to lose because you eat more sometimes when you are stressed.. Food is comfort.