Local factors may block a GOP tsunami in Ohio

Geee

Local-factors-may-block-a-GOP-tsunami-in-Ohio--1071126-104161758.html
Washington Examiner:

Local factors may block a GOP tsunami in Ohio
By: TIMOTHY P. CARNEY
Senior Examiner Columnist
October 4, 2010

While the national mood will matter immensely, it will be 435 individual House races that actually determine whether Ohioan John Boehner becomes speaker. ((AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite, File))
COLUMBUS, OHIO -- Ohio plays a leading role in America's political story - the pre-eminent swing state, nestled in the heart of the Midwest. It was central in Democrats' takeover of Congress in 2006 and in Obama's win in 2008. That's why Republicans nationwide are looking to the Buckeye State as the potential bellwether of a hoped-for electoral landslide, including a takeover of the U.S. House.

But here in Ohio, the outlook is more cautious. Republican gains will be significant, but analysts who expect a blowout across the state and nation often aren't looking at individual races. While the national mood will matter immensely, it will be 435 individual House races that actually determine whether Ohioan John Boehner becomes speaker.snip

I have always thought that House elections were local elections. People have to be willing to look at the big picture and throw out a person they actually like. It's one of the reasons I have thought a GOP win will be more difficult than a lot of people would like to think.

shoutStella.

"People have to be willing to look at the big picture and throw out a person they actually like. "

Don't you think that got us Bob Dole and John McCain?

I think I'd vote Conservative first, regardless of the R or D or I behind their name.