Druids recognized as religion for first time in UK

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
article.php?id=D9IJOQU01&show_article=1
Breitbart:

LONDON (AP) - Druids have been worshipping the sun and earth for thousands of years in Europe, but now they can say they're practicing an officially recognized religion.

The ancient pagan tradition best known for gatherings at Stonehenge every summer solstice has been formally classed as a religion under charity law for the first time in Britain, the national charity regulator said Saturday. That means Druids can receive exemptions from taxes on donations—and now have the same status as such mainstream religions as the Church of England.

The move gives an old practice new validity, said Phil Ryder, the chairman of the 350-member Druid Network.

"It will go a long way to make Druidry a lot more accessible," he said.

Druids have practiced for thousands of years in Britain and in Celtic societies elsewhere in Europe. They worship natural forces such as thunder and the sun, and spirits they believe arise from places such as mountains and rivers. They do not worship a single god or creator, but seek to cultivate a sacred relationship with the natural world.
________

Blackadder was right!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWsIw7lGuBI

If Islam can be considered a religion, and wiccanism(I'm not sure I said that right) since they commune with nature, then it would make sense that Druids can have their religion recognized too. In every big city, there are hundreds of little self proclaimed churches that get tax exemption status staffed by self proclaimed ministers or you can get a certificate on line.

pollyannaish

If Islam can be considered a religion, and wiccanism(I'm not sure I said that right) since they commune with nature, then it would make sense that Druids can have their religion recognized too. In every big city, there are hundreds of little self proclaimed churches that get tax exemption status staffed by self proclaimed ministers or you can get a certificate on line.

I had a student who got a ministerial license/started his own church of some kind so he would have a tax deduction and could perform the weddings of his friends. :rolleyes: They thought it was quite a hoot.

Edited to add: I have no problems with druids being officially recognized as a religion. To be honest, they've been around a lot longer than a lot of other religions. My viewpoint on their belief system is another issue...but that is a theological discussion, not a political one.

Druids recognized as religion for first time in UK

That's nice...I suppose.

The good news is if they now get government subsidies, the government can do for them what they've done for the Anglicans.

If the UK can do this:

September 14, 2008

Revealed: UK’s first official sharia courts

Abul Taher

ISLAMIC law has been officially adopted in Britain, with sharia courts given powers to rule on Muslim civil cases.

The government has quietly sanctioned the powers for sharia judges to rule on cases ranging from divorce and financial disputes to those involving domestic violence.

Rulings issued by a network of five sharia courts are enforceable with the full power of the judicial system, through the county courts or High Court.

Previously, the rulings of sharia courts in Britain could not be enforced, and depended on voluntary compliance among Muslims.

snip

Source

========================

If the UK can do this, then recognizing Druids is easy for them. And, I believe, as goes the Brits, so goes the U. S.