Sec. of Education Duncan Pledges to Turn Kids Into ‘Good Environmental Citizens’

Valin

sec-of-education-duncan-pledges-to-turn-kids-into-good-environmental-citizens
Gateway Pundit:

Warner Todd Huston

Obama’s Secretary of Education, Arne Duncan, pledged to turn America’s school children into good enviro zombies at an appearance at a Virginia high school earlier in the month and he intends to use federal funds to do it.

CNSNews reports:

“Right now, in the second decade of the 21st century, preparing our children to be good environmental citizens is some of the most important work any of us can do. It’s work that will serve future generations–and quite literally sustain our world,” Duncan said at the Education Department’s “Sustainability Education Summit: Citizenship and Pathways for a Green Economy.”

“This week’s sustainability summit represents the first time that the Department is taking a taking a leadership role in the work of educating the next generation of green citizens and preparing them to contribute to the workforce through green jobs,” said Duncan. “President Obama has made clean, renewable energy a priority because, as he says, it’s the best way to ‘truly transform our economy, to protect our security, and save our planet.”

(Snip)

I can't tell you how happy I am to see the Secretary of Education is aware of the major educational problem facing the nation.

I guess it comes down to exactly what is the goal of public education. It's obviously not to turn out literate students because in a lot of big cities they are failing miserably. Maybe since Duncan has been a total failure at making sure kids know how to read and write he needs to turn his energy on this. The teachers have barely enough time to cover other subjects. What will environmental education come at the expense of?