Paul Ryan: GOP Must Continue Fighting for the Right to Life

Geee

paul-ryan-gop-must-continue-fighting-right-life
Weekly Standard:

Paul Ryan: GOP Must Continue Fighting for the Right to Life
"It is a false choice to ask which natural right we should discard."

BY JOHN MCCORMACK
September 22, 2010 3:50 PM

In February, Congressman Paul Ryan of Wisconsin wrote a paper for the Heritage Foundation titled "The Cause of Life Can’t be Severed from the Cause of Freedom," and in July, he took issue with Mitch Daniels' call for a "truce" on social issues.

So it's a little surprising to see this criticism of Ryan at Red State:

Recently, we have seen a number of odd and highly unnecessary comments about the need for truces on social issues. Notably, Mitch Daniels, the Governor of Indiana and possible 2012 Presidential candidate, told the Weekly Standard that we “would have to call a truce on social issues. We’re going to just have to agree to get along for a while.” And now you have one of the young squirts, or squirt guns, or whatever they have anointed themselves, Rep. Paul Ryan, saying on CNBC, “we will agree to disagree on [social] issues.”

Really? I guess Mr. Ryan’s idea of a “roadmap” is just to get on “the highway to power,” and ignore any of the bumpier roads - never mind if it takes you somewhere you don’t want to go.

But Ryan hasn't gotten on board with the idea of a truce on social issues. "I’m as pro-life as a person gets," Ryan told me in July. "You’re not going to have a truce. Judges are going to come up. Issues come up, they’re unavoidable, and I’m never going to not vote pro-life."snip

I understand exactly where Paul Ryan is coming from. Even though he doesn't believe in abortions, right now the most important thing is to get our fiscal house in order. With the country evenly divided on the abortion issue, now is not the time to create an abortion war. After all, people are scared because of the economic meltdown of the country. More people will be on board with the GOP putting the country back on it's feet economically than if an abortion debate is started. If our country slides into bankruptcy, we will have bigger problems than the age old ethical debate on abortion. Even Justice Roberts said that he can't do a thing about abortion because of precedence. It's the law of the land. It's all about setting priorities.