MI6 secrets revealed in first official history

ErnstBlofeld

uk-11379259
BBC/Gordon Corera:

Spies, gadgets, disguises, sabotage and murder are all the mainstays of spy fiction. But the truth behind the fiction has now been revealed in a new history of the early years of MI6.

The job of a secret service is to steal other people's secrets and protect its own. But the British Secret Intelligence Service, known as MI6, has come clean about its early years.

It took the unusual step of opening up its secret archive to a historian, Professor Keith Jeffery of Queen's University in Belfast.

After burrowing through the files, he produced an 800 page account which was published on Tuesday.

" was like a child in a sweet shop, a cornucopia. [it was] an extraordinary Aladdin's cave of historical materials," Prof Jeffery told the BBC.

The history recounts how MI6 was founded in 1909 to collect secrets on the build-up of the Germany Navy.
snip

uk-11379259
BBC/Gordon Corera:

Spies, gadgets, disguises, sabotage and murder are all the mainstays of spy fiction. But the truth behind the fiction has now been revealed in a new history of the early years of MI6.

The job of a secret service is to steal other people's secrets and protect its own. But the British Secret Intelligence Service, known as MI6, has come clean about its early years.

It took the unusual step of opening up its secret archive to a historian, Professor Keith Jeffery of Queen's University in Belfast.

After burrowing through the files, he produced an 800 page account which was published on Tuesday.

" was like a child in a sweet shop, a cornucopia. [it was] an extraordinary Aladdin's cave of historical materials," Prof Jeffery told the BBC.

The history recounts how MI6 was founded in 1909 to collect secrets on the build-up of the Germany Navy.

snip

Hi Ho Hi Ho, its off the B&N I go, with credit card tight in my fist Hi HO Hi Ho.

uk-11379259
BBC/Gordon Corera:

snip

Hi Ho Hi Ho, its off the B&N I go, with credit card tight in my fist Hi HO Hi Ho.

Its already available on Amazon.UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MI6-History-Intelligence-Service-1909-1949/dp/0747591830/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1285118813&sr=8-1

uk-11379259
BBC/Gordon Corera:

snip

"The book ends abruptly in 1949 just as the Cold War was taking shape. It was also the moment just before MI6 realised it had a traitor in its midst."

Not very contemporary. Would you think we have already heard/read a lot of this history? And it is 800 pages, take a wagon to cart it home.

uk-11379259
BBC/Gordon Corera:

snip

"The book ends abruptly in 1949 just as the Cold War was taking shape. It was also the moment just before MI6 realised it had a traitor in its midst."

Not very contemporary. Would you think we have already heard/read a lot of this history? And it is 800 pages, take a wagon to cart it home.

I would assume that the Cold War activity still part of the Official Secrets Act. Many of out Cold War activity(foreign and domestic) is still very classified

uk-11379259
BBC/Gordon Corera:

snip

I would assume that the Cold War activity still part of the Official Secrets Act. Many of out Cold War activity(foreign and domestic) is still very classified

Exclusive: WW2 Britain Blew Up Jewish Refugee Ships

Andrew Roberts

A new book uncovers shocking secret attacks launched on ships bearing Holocaust survivors en route to Israel. Andrew Roberts on the violent lengths to which post-war Britain went to appease oil-rich Arab states.

As Jewish survivors of the Holocaust, the pitiful remnants of History’s greatest crime, tried to make their way across an often hostile Europe at the end of the Second World War, toward at least a semblance of safety in the Holy Land, they had no shortage of problems with which to contend, including disease and malnutrition, Polish anti-Semitism, Soviet indifference, Allied bureaucracy, and Arab nationalism. Now we discover that they faced yet another peril in the shape of bombs planted on their transport ships by Britain’s Secret Intelligence Service, better known as MI6.

A new book to be published next week entitled MI6: The History of the Secret Intelligence Service 1909-1949, by the distinguished British historian Keith Jeffery, reveals the existence of Operation Embarrass, a plan to try to prevent Jews getting into Palestine in 1946-'48 using disinformation and propaganda but also explosive devices placed on ships. Nor is this some speculative spy story that can be denied by the authorities: Dr. Jeffrey’s book is actually, in their own words: “Published with the permission of The Secret Intelligence Service and the Controller of Her Majesty’s Stationery Office.”

(Snip)