Just don't call it a 'stimulus'

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
41975.html
Politico:

President Barack Obama has “no problem” with the idea that he’s trying to stimulate the economy. He’s just not quite willing to call his new economic proposals a stimulus.

Obama repeatedly avoided using the word during his Friday news conference, using a grab bag of other terms to describe the $787 billion package that passed in 2009 and the White House’s fresh infrastructure spending proposal.

Asked by Chip Reid of CBS to explain why officials have tried to “avoid the word ‘stimulus’ like the plague,” Obama defended the first wave of recovery spending enacted last year.

He called it an “economic plan.”

“We put in place an economic plan that 95 percent of economists say substantially helped us avoid a depression,” he said. “A third of that economic plan was tax cuts for individuals and for small businesses.”

Pressed on whether his new spending proposal was a “second stimulus,” Obama relented — but only a little.

“Everything we've been trying to do is designed to stimulate growth and additional jobs in the economy,” he said.

“I have no problem with people saying, ‘The president is trying to stimulate growth and hiring.’ Isn't that what I should be doing?” Obama replied. “I would assume that's what Republicans think we should do: to stimulate growth and jobs.”

He concluded: “I will keep on trying to stimulate growth and jobs for as long as I'm president of the United States.”
________

But remember, it's not the "S" word...