Election 2010 surprise: rise of black Republicans

Valin

Election-2010-surprise-rise-of-black-Republicans
CSM:

Allen C. Guelzo
September 3, 2010

Gettysburg, Pa.
In June, a Charleston businessman named Tim Scott won the Republican nomination for South Carolina's First Congressional District, defeating Paul Thurmond, the son of state political legend Strom Thurmond, with nearly 70 percent of the primary vote.

And Tim Scott is black.

Even more surprising, Mr. Scott's platform is a repudiation of Barack Obama's agenda. He promises to support a repeal of the health-care law, simplify the tax code, and cut federal spending. Overall, the GOP has fielded more than 30 African-American candidates for federal office, including Ryan Frazier in Colorado's Seventh Congressional District and Vernon Parker in Arizona's Third Congressional District.

(Snip)

A trend with historic roots

This trend defies modern identity politics. In the 2008 election, 95 percent of black voters chose Obama. Yet the attraction between blacks and the Republican Party is not so strange as it seems.

For a century after emancipation in 1863, black voters routinely lined up behind the Republican Party as the party of Abraham Lincoln, the Great Emancipator. Republican presidents held open federal patronage appointments as virtually the only public offices open to Southern blacks during the Jim Crow decades. Republicans in Congress sponsored civil rights legislation in 1866, 1871, 1875, and 1957, plus the Dyer Anti-Lynching Bill in 1918. In the 1930s, as New Deal Democrats began cultivating African-Americans, the Republican hold on African-American voters began to fracture. It broke down completely in the 1960s after Democratic President Lyndon Johnson endorsed the civil rights and voting rights legislation of 1964 and 1965. In 1964, 94 percent of black voters lined up behind Johnson, and every Democratic candidate since has enjoyed strong black support.

But today, many blacks have different hot-button issues: school choice, job creation, family values. And on these issues, black voters have not been well served by the Democratic leadership. After the 2004 presidential election, Democratic pollster Ron Lester warned that "there is a lot of compatibility and similarity between a lot of the positions that black folks take in terms of social issues and issues advocated by the Republicans."

(Snip)

(H/T Bill Bennetts Morning In America)

Blacks have been pretty solid RAT voters since FDR, and clowns like Jesse Jackson have helped keep them on the plantation ever since. If we get a Conservative Black Caucus, things might begin to change. No guarantee, because JC Watts was ostracized by the black RAT House members, but if you get 20-30 GOP members in the House who are black, that changes the equation dramatically.

Blacks have been pretty solid RAT voters since FDR, and clowns like Jesse Jackson have helped keep them on the plantation ever since. If we get a Conservative Black Caucus, things might begin to change. No guarantee, because JC Watts was ostracized by the black RAT House members, but if you get 20-30 GOP members in the House who are black, that changes the equation dramatically.

Actually according to the article that didn't really happen until LBJ and the civil rights laws were passed in 64-65. The sad thing is (sad in that people don't know their history) it was Republicans who passed it.

Actually according to the article that didn't really happen until LBJ and the civil rights laws were passed in 64-65. The sad thing is (sad in that people don't know their history) it was Republicans who passed it.

Algore ran in 2000 shamelessly claiming this his dad, Algore, Sr. was kicked out of office for supporting the Civil Rights Act, when he was one of its chief opponents. Hypocrisy and the RATS go hand in hand...

Algore ran in 2000 shamelessly claiming this his dad, Algore, Sr. was kicked out of office for supporting the Civil Rights Act, when he was one of its chief opponents. Hypocrisy and the RATS go hand in hand...

And there's something about this that surprises you? :D

It should also be noted that hypocrisy is not the exclusive property of the Democrat party. More than enough guilt to go around.

/preaching to the choir

It should also be noted that hypocrisy is not the exclusive property of the Democrat party. More than enough guilt to go around.

/preaching to the choir

Their are lies, damn lies, and statistics. Algore should have been called on the carpet when he told that damn lie, but Dubya is too much of a gentleman even though I'm sure Karl Rove was willing him to do it, because it was shameless.

I doubt it meant much, though, because Algore got his clock cleaned in every debate with Dubya, including the last hillarious one when he snuck up behind 43 looking like Frankenstein's monster, and Dubya turned, nodded, then turned back to the audience and shrugged his shoulders, and the audience burst into laughter. The Tree looked like the fool he is, and humiliated himself.

/preaching to the choir

Their are lies, damn lies, and statistics. Algore should have been called on the carpet when he told that damn lie, but Dubya is too much of a gentleman even though I'm sure Karl Rove was willing him to do it, because it was shameless.

I doubt it meant much, though, because Algore got his clock cleaned in every debate with Dubya, including the last hillarious one when he snuck up behind 43 looking like Frankenstein's monster, and Dubya turned, nodded, then turned back to the audience and shrugged his shoulders, and the audience burst into laughter. The Tree looked like the fool he is, and humiliated himself.

I take it that you mean, by the Frankenstein's Monster, you meant his attempt to look like Reagan, down to the hair and suit. It did come off a bit macabre, didn't it?

Algore has always had a talent for humiliating himself, still practices it today. How such a dimwit person ever became a prominent politician is beyond me....oh wait, Democrat.....isn't there similar dimwit person who actually managed to get elected?

Algore has always had a talent for humiliating himself, still practices it today. How such a dimwit person ever became a prominent politician is beyond me....oh wait, Democrat.....isn't there similar dimwit person who actually managed to get elected?

I'm still trying to figure out why such a sharp pol as Bill Clinton picked him to be Veep. The only thing I can come up with was Algore was too dumb to ever challenge him when he was being 'taken care of' in the Oval Office. It's established that Her Heinousness took over the customary Veep's office in the West Wing, and he was banished to the OEOB, which lit a feud that is still going on.

I'm still trying to figure out why such a sharp pol as Bill Clinton picked him to be Veep. The only thing I can come up with was Algore was too dumb to ever challenge him when he was being 'taken care of' in the Oval Office. It's established that Her Heinousness took over the customary Veep's office in the West Wing, and he was banished to the OEOB, which lit a feud that is still going on.

You have most of your answer, right there. The other part of it was that Algore was willing to get dirty (read: illegal) when it came to fund raising.....leaving Billary and Hitlery with clean hands.

The embarrassing moments are endless but my fav was The KISS where he almost sucked the lips right off of Tipper.

I'm surprised she didn't pass out from asphyxiation...or his Jabba the Hut breath.