Dem base told: Fear Tea Party

Geee

117557-dem-base-told-fear-tea-party
The Hill:

Dem base told: Fear Tea Party
By Shane D’Aprile and Bob Cusack - 09/08/10 06:00 AM ET

Democrats desperate to convince their base to show up at the polls in November have begun talking less about issues and more about the possibility of a “Tea Party Congress” next year.

The passage of landmark bills such as healthcare and financial regulatory reform has not triggered as much grassroots enthusiasm as initially envisioned, Democratic strategists say. And while the right is engaged this cycle, the left is deflated.

“This is a big problem,” said Democratic targeting and turnout guru Hal Malchow.
So Democrats have turned to a strategy that may be their next best bet: demonization of the “insurgent” Tea Party.

“These are not your run-of-the-mill Republicans we’re talking about here,” said one Democratic organizer working in a state with a contested Senate race this fall. “When you actually start telling voters what these candidates are about, it scares the hell out of them.”

In the past several weeks, when Democratic activists cite the ramifications of a “Tea Party Congress,” they say, more volunteers have signed up to knock on doors to preserve a Democratic-led House and Senate.

President Obama does not fire up the left as much as he did in 2008, and polls indicate independents are turning on him.

A recent Gallup survey shows that Republicans are far more enthusiastic about voting than Democrats, leading by a 50 percent to 25 percent count.

Many liberals have expressed frustration with the White House on issues ranging from the war in Afghanistan to the military prison in Guantanamo Bay — which Obama pledged to close by last January — to the lack of a public option in healthcare reform.

Uniting the party, and making sure their voters don’t stay home this fall, has become the No. 1 issue for the Democratic Party.snip

How tone deaf can a party get?

It comes from the top on down. If this is the best the RATS can up with as an election strategy, they're really headed for disaster. Nobody is going to buy this garbage except the hardcore Left.

How tone deaf can a party get?

It comes from the top on down. If this is the best the RATS can up with as an election strategy, they're really headed for disaster. Nobody is going to buy this garbage except the hardcore Left.

So you mean I won't be able to oppress anyone after the election? DARN! I was really looking forward to it.

Uniting the party, and making sure their voters don’t stay home this fall, has become the No. 1 issue for the Democratic Party

This has always been the weakness of the Democrat Party, one that has never been fully exploited by the Republicans. The Dem base is a hodgepodge of special interest groups with a myriad of socio-political-philosophical agendas that are not only in opposition with common sense, but in opposition of each other. In order to perform as a politician in the Democrat Party, you can never be liberal enough, or conservative enough. While this does happen with the Republican base to a lesser extent, there is a more cohesive shared set of political goals. A successful Democrat has to share a different set of values for every audience, while a Republican usually needs only to change the emphasis of their message.

117557-dem-base-told-fear-tea-party
The Hill:

“These are not your run-of-the-mill Republicans we’re talking about here,” said one Democratic organizer working in a state with a contested Senate race this fall. “When you actually start telling voters what these candidates are about, it scares the hell out of them.”

Some of the Tea party candidates worry me a little too!!!

The likes of Ken Buck (Colorado) and some of the other hard-right candidates make me nervous. Not that I wouldn't prefer any one of them to any dim-o-cRAT, but some of them, are too hard right for my liking, and certainly for the liking of moderate independents!