Daley won't run for re-election: 'I have done my best'

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
daley-says-he-will-not-run-for-re-election.html
Chicagobreakingnews.com:

Mayor Richard Daley says he will not run for re-election in 2011, saying it's "time for me, it's time for Chicago to move on."

"The truth is I have been thinking about this for the past several months," Daley said at a City Hall news conference that stunned the city. "In the end this is a personal decision, no more, no less."

His wife Maggie stood by his side with the help of a crutch, smiling broadly as the mayor continued: "I have always known that people want you to work hard for them. Clearly, they won't always agree with you. Obviously, they don't like it when you make a mistake. But at all times, they expect you to lead, to make difficult decisions, rooted in what's right for them.

"For 21 years, that's what I've tried to do," he said. "But today, I am announcing that I will not seek a 7th term as mayor of the city of Chicago.

"Simply put, it's time," said Daley, 68. "Time for me, it's time for Chicago to move on."

The mayor said that "improving Chicago has been the ongoing work of my life and I have loved every minute of it. There has been no greater privilege or honor than serving as your mayor.

"Working alongside seasoned professionals, incredibly committed business and community leaders, and some of the most dedicated public employees you will ever expect, I have had the opportunity to expand, to build, to create, unite and compromise for the betterment of Chicago."

"I am deeply grateful to the people of this city, more grateful than I can fully express," Daley said. "I have given it my all. I have done the best.

"Now, I am ready with my family to begin the new phase of our lives. In the coming days, I know there will be some reflecting on my time as mayor. Many of you will search to find what's behind my decision. It's simple. I've always believed that every person, especially public officials, must understand when it's time to move on. For me, that time is now," he said. "The truth is that I've been thinking about this for the last several months. And in the last several weeks, I've been increasingly comfortable with my decision. It just feels right."

"For the next seven months, I assure you I will work as hard as I have for the past 21 years, for all the people of Chicago," he added.

Daley spoke for less than five minutes and took no questions.
________

Is the Daley era finally over?

Guess who is aiming to replace him?

re.jpg

WVR & Saveliberty!

The man with his fingers in everyone's pie......well.....er......except for the one that got cut off?

Has Daley just stolen as much loot as he can safely carry? Or is the writing on Man's Country's restroom wall?

Rahm's probably already got the resignation letter printed out, and is just waiting for the midterms before he hands it over to Obambi. As dirty as Chicago is, I think even Daley sees the writing on the wall about the tsunami coming on Nov. 2.