Laid-Off Temporary Census Workers Account for 43.6 Percent of Increase in Unemployed Americans

Geee

CNSnews:

Laid-Off Temporary Census Workers Account for 43.6 Percent of Increase in Unemployed Americans
Friday, September 03, 2010
By Terence P. Jeffrey, Editor-in-Chief

President Barack Obama delivers a prime-time televised address from the Oval Office on Tuesday, Aug. 31, 2010. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh)
(CNSNews.com) - Laid-off temporary federal workers, who were brought on to the government payroll by the U.S. Census Bureau to help conduct the 2010 Census, accounted for 43.6 percent of the increase in unemployed people in the United States last month, as the national unemployment rate increased from 9.5 percent in July to 9.6 percent in August.

From July to August, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the overall number of unemployed people in the United States increased by 261,000 from 14,599,000 to 14,860,000.

The fact that laid-off temporary Census workers accounted for 114,000 of those 261,000 newly unemployed Americans may not bode well for the coming months as the Census Bureau still has 82,000 temporary workers on its payroll who will eventually need to be laid-off when the work of the 2010 Census is completed. snip

I worked for 2 months at our local census office, because I needed the money. I met some of the nicest people I've had the privilege to work with, from both the Left and Right, because we kept politics out of the office.

I knew it was just a temp job, but next to my gig for about 6 months as a DJ on our local talk radio station, it's probably the best job I've ever had. There's no job that can match that one when you're 20 years old. B)

But, IMO, there's no doubt the WH used the census workers to inflate the employment rolls, and now they're paying the price.