Palin Foe Mulls Third-Party Run

Valin

alaska-senate-race-will-murkowski-run-as-third-party-candidate
The Daily Beast:

Shushannah Walshe
8/25/10

There’s a new wrinkle in Alaska’s hotly contested GOP Senate primary. With Senator Lisa Murkowski trailing Palin-endorsed insurgent Joe Miller, a source inside Murkowski’s campaign tells The Daily Beast the senator may abandon the GOP for a third-party run. Shushannah Walshe reports from Alaska.

The ongoing battle for who won the Republican primary in the Alaska Senate race will come down to the absentee ballots, but in an exclusive interview with The Daily Beast, a source within the Murkowski campaign says they know of one possible legal option to pursue a third-party run. If Murkowski is not victorious when the absentee ballots are counted and decides to wage an Independent party bid, they might consider using this option, which the source wouldn't describe, but did confirm they were seriously looking at.

"We are going to take a look at them and see whether the option is there or not, but it's a decision she (Murkowski) has to make," the Murkowski camp source said. "There is an option I know of."

(Snip)

Hot Air: Will Murkowski run as an independent? Update: Libertarian Party the only option?

I poked around the Alaska secretary of state’s webpage this morning and it looks like Murkowski’s too late to run as an indie. Alaska is one of the 46 states with a “sore-loser law” requiring independents to register for the ballot by the date of the party primaries (Connecticut is one of the four without one), so the window on that is closed. A write-in campaign is possible — Bob Bennett considered it after losing in the Utah Republican caucus — but how likely is it that she’ll convince 75,000 or so supporters, many of whom will necessarily be Democrats, to take the time to write her in instead of flipping the switch for a party nominee? As for the AIP, I won’t even pretend to know how that might work. Looks like they don’t yet have a nominee for Senate this year, so presumably Murkowski would make some sort of deal with them in which they nominate her and she … pushes for Alaskan independence? Man, blogging these midterms is going to be fun.

(Snip)

Update: Via John McCormack[/url, the Anchorage Daily News says it’s libertarian or bust.

"Alaska Division of Elections Director Gail Fenumiai told me it’s too late for Murkowski to file to have her name appear on the ballot as an independent, so that would need to be a write-in effort. There is a Libertarian candidate in the race, Frederick Haase, who could choose to step down. The Libertarian Party could then select a replacement for him on the ballot.

There is no other third party candidate in the U.S. Senate race, so Libertarian would be the only option for Murkowski to join a new party for a run."

(Snip)

Hot Air: Will Murkowski run as an independent? Update: Libertarian Party the only option?

I poked around the Alaska secretary of state’s webpage this morning and it looks like Murkowski’s too late to run as an indie. Alaska is one of the 46 states with a “sore-loser law” requiring independents to register for the ballot by the date of the party primaries (Connecticut is one of the four without one), so the window on that is closed. A write-in campaign is possible — Bob Bennett considered it after losing in the Utah Republican caucus — but how likely is it that she’ll convince 75,000 or so supporters, many of whom will necessarily be Democrats, to take the time to write her in instead of flipping the switch for a party nominee? As for the AIP, I won’t even pretend to know how that might work. Looks like they don’t yet have a nominee for Senate this year, so presumably Murkowski would make some sort of deal with them in which they nominate her and she … pushes for Alaskan independence? Man, blogging these midterms is going to be fun.

(Snip)

Update: Via John McCormack[/url, the Anchorage Daily News says it’s libertarian or bust.

"Alaska Division of Elections Director Gail Fenumiai told me it’s too late for Murkowski to file to have her name appear on the ballot as an independent, so that would need to be a write-in effort. There is a Libertarian candidate in the race, Frederick Haase, who could choose to step down. The Libertarian Party could then select a replacement for him on the ballot.

There is no other third party candidate in the U.S. Senate race, so Libertarian would be the only option for Murkowski to join a new party for a run."

(Snip)

The AIP??? Is that the new rising third party founded by Alan Keyes and his fellow clowns???

Isn't the AIP the party the left was accusing Todd Palin of being a member? Don't remember how that worked out, but apparently it made no difference to anyone.

I like the phrase 'sore-loser law'. Very accurate descriptor.

"Sore Loser Law". How fitting...

There was always a funky smell about how Frank dropped his daughter into his Senate seat. Now, the smell could go away if Joe Miller hangs on after the absentee ballots are counted.