Fears for future of 3D as films flop

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
0e709eee-a892-11df-86dd-00144feabdc0.html
Financial Times:

It was hailed as the great saviour of the film industry, but since 3D technology propelled Avatar to a record-breaking $2.73bn box-office haul, fears are growing that Hollywood is endangering its profitable new format.

Several 3D films have topped the box office charts this year, including Alice in Wonderland and Clash of the Titans. Yet, a string of recent 3D films has stumbled at the box office, notably Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore, which flopped, and Step Up 3D, which made less than the first two films in the dance series, both of which were released in 2D.

Hollywood studios like 3D because consumers have so far been willing to pay a premium to see the films. But with 3D tickets costing as much as 50 per cent more than comparable 2D films, analysts have expressed doubts about whether consumer appetite for the format can be sustained – particularly if the films are poor.

“The studios and theatres are overpricing 3D films and there’s too much of it out there,” said Richard Greenfield, an analyst with BTIG Research.

“They are converting all of their movies into 3D without any regard to quality.”
________

Shades of the Fifties! I guess that explains this. :rolleyes:

Because of personal medical reasons, I couldn't watch a 3D movie now even if I wanted to. But after my sister and I saw 'Jaws 3D' back in the mid-80's, I never had a desire to put on those funky glasses again, especially after such an awfully bad movie.

If I can watch the Tolkien Trilogy, Band of Brothers, or the new Battlestar Galactica in 2D, I think I can watch just about any movie, TV show, or football game without 3D or even HD. I've lived for 40 years without it, so I think I'll survive.

BTW: the last film I actually went to a theater and paid to see was "Team America" back around 2004. It was 2D, and funny as Hell... ;)

Because of personal medical reasons, I couldn't watch a 3D movie now even if I wanted to. But after my sister and I saw 'Jaws 3D' back in the mid-80's, I never had a desire to put on those funky glasses again, especially after such an awfully bad movie.

If I can watch the Tolkien Trilogy, Band of Brothers, or the new Battlestar Galactica in 2D, I think I can watch just about any movie, TV show, or football game without 3D or even HD. I've lived for 40 years without it, so I think I'll survive.

BTW: the last film I actually went to a theater and paid to see was "Team America" back around 2004. It was 2D, and funny as Hell... ;)

Being blind in one eye, I cannot watch 3D movies.....when wearing the glasses all I see is a 2D movie of poor quality with colored shadows duplicating every feature. So, if I seem a little apathetic toward the possible demise of 3D movies, its only because I am.