China shocks SE Asia, claims 'indisputable sovereignty' over South China Sea

ErnstBlofeld

ErnstBlofeld

5.aspEast-Asia-Intel.com:

The Chinese military's proclamation last week that it is now declaring "sovereignty" over all waters of the South China Sea sent shock waves through the militaries and national security communities of the region, notably Vietnam.

"China has indisputable sovereignty of the South Sea, and China has sufficient historical and legal backing" to support its claims, Sr. Col. Geng Yansheng, a Defense Ministry spokesman, told reporters July 30 in Beijing. Geng then went on to say that China would follow international law and “respect the freedom of the passage of ships or aircraft from relevant countries."

However, claiming sovereignty over international waters covering 1.3 million square miles is only the latest sign of China’s threatening posture in Asia, something that began to be noticed by intelligence analysts following the 60th anniversary of China in October, when an array of new missiles and weapons were showcased.

Chinese military spokesmen and theorists also have taken a much harsher tone in attacking the United States and its allies and have begun identifying ever greater hegemonistic goals through the concept of defending and protecting what they term China’s “core interests.”

In the past, such interests were limited to Taiwan, the island Beijing claims is its territory but which is in fact ruled by an independent Taiwanese government supported by the United States.

In recent months, China has sought to expand the concept of what is regarded as its core interests to include territorial claims to the resource-rich islands and islets of the South China Sea.

China’s main military base that has been expanded greatly in the past several years is located at Hainan Island, where a new underwater submarine based is located on the island’s coast and new advanced warplanes have been deployed.

China also has become more aggressive in recent months in pressuring Vietnamese and other Southeast Asian states’ fishing vessels from fishing in the sea.

The Chinese military comments followed the speech in Hanoi July 23 by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton who suggested the United States would be helping Southeast Asian states to resist Chinese hegemony.

"The United States has a national interest in freedom of navigation, open access to Asia's maritime commons, and respect for international law in the South China Sea," Clinton said. "We oppose the use or threat of force by any claimant.”

The comments drew harsh denunciations by Beijing spokesmen who said the remarks showed the United States’ hostile intent to contain China's militarily.

ErnstBlofeld

So, explain to me again why we're cutting our defense budget?

I do not think that they will cut the Navy's portion of the defense budget. The will keep the 11 carrier strike groups past 2020 and expand the SSGN program. They may even relocate five carrier groups to the Pacific to meet the Chinese threat. The Navy is still getting their F-35s carrier borne jets. They are proceeding with the Aegis/SM-3 programs and Littoral Combat Ships. There was to be a contract annoucement by the US Navy for the LCS coming up soon. There is an idea to station SM-3s/Aegis vessels outside the CONUS to shoot down ballistic missiles. What the ONI and DARPA needs to do is figure out a way to meet the Chinese anti-ship missile threat.

shoutArgyle58... Ummmm... I would guess it's because there are IDIOTS in the Obama regime and SecDef Gates is one that goes with the flow, instead of standing up for what is right. He's a weenie! :lol:

The progressives on the far left are pissed that Obama is continuing to fight against terriorism, when he had blasted Bush for the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. It's nearing mid-term elections, so the administration must show some signs of appeasement to the far left in hopes of helping the hapless Dim candidates. JMO

It was bad enough that he stopped the F-22, the most superior aircraft of today, but he continues to reduce the effectiveness of the US military through his further cuts. Reminds me of when Cheney was SecDef and tried so hard to kill the V-22 Osprey program which, like the F-22, is an aircraft that is loved by the military.

shoutArgyle58... Ummmm... I would guess it's because there are IDIOTS in the Obama regime and SecDef Gates is one that goes with the flow, instead of standing up for what is right. He's a weenie! :lol:

The progressives on the far left are pissed that Obama is continuing to fight against terriorism, when he had blasted Bush for the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. It's nearing mid-term elections, so the administration must show some signs of appeasement to the far left in hopes of helping the hapless Dim candidates. JMO

It was bad enough that he stopped the F-22, the most superior aircraft of today, but he continues to reduce the effectiveness of the US military through his further cuts. Reminds me of when Cheney was SecDef and tried so hard to kill the V-22 Osprey program which, like the F-22, is an aircraft that is loved by the military.

Actually, Gates wasn't the one who killed future F-22 orders...the senate refused to fund it. Ironically, at the same time, the House was voting themselves a new fleet of VIP aircraft.