Stark's town hall answer goes viral

Valin

40581.html
Politico:

Faced with angry constituents at a recent town hall meeting in his California district, Democratic Rep. Pete Stark gave an answer about federal power that has spread rapidly throughout the conservative blogosphere: "The federal government … can do most anything in this country."

A woman sitting in the front row at the July 24 event pressed Stark about his vote in favor of health care reform, the passage of which she called “unconstitutional.” She called into question Stark’s characterization of health care as a “right,” noting that “such a right is actually beyond the power of the federal government to confer.”

The woman concluded by asking, “How can legislation such as this be constitutional when it seems to be in direct conflict with the 13th amendment? … And … if this legislation is constitutional, what limitations are there on the federal government’s ability to tell us how to run our private lives?”
(Snip)

If I may quote foxyladi of Common Ground Politics.....
"the federal government can do whatever it wants?????

You may be comfortable with Obama having this much power, but what about the next president?” "

SrWoodchuck

shoutValin! Great post!

I watched his face when the lady in the video said that people, thinking like him, are destroying this country; and he looked whupped. His fate at the polls seems already self-evident. I'm hoping that the "lame-duckers" can't go on too big a revenge tour before ending their session.

clearvision

This would have been better if she had not interrupted and stepped all over him. He seems pretty drunk/senile/outofit, certainly not what I would want in a leader able to do "what ever they want".

This would have been better if she had not interrupted and stepped all over him. He seems pretty drunk/senile/outofit, certainly not what I would want in a leader able to do "what ever they want".

so in other word the normal Pete Stark :lol:

I've been following this guy for a very very long time....he's just bad. I mean he gives hard core leftists a bad name.

pollyannaish

This would have been better if she had not interrupted and stepped all over him.

I agree. His response was so poor, that it would have spoken for itself. She actually lessened the impact of his response by appearing to be gunning for argument.

Edited to add: I find this whole "arguing" over each other an emerging style in society and it drives me nuts. In general, I prefer to take it in, think it through and then decide what my response to something is going to be.

But I've discovered that in a lot of places, including work places, that when you do that people assume you have nothing to add. That is not necessarily the case—I just hate having to elbow my way into the conversation verbally, fending off those who argue every point. It drives me NUTS!

pollyannaish

And yet they'll reelect him by double digits.

There's a line from Babylon 5 "Always be on stupidity"

Hey! We loved that show in this household. :)

clearvision

This would have been better if she had not interrupted and stepped all over him.

I agree. His response was so poor, that it would have spoken for itself. She actually lessened the impact of his response by appearing to be gunning for argument.

Edited to add: I find this whole Stop right there! If I want to get MY point across right now I will!"arguing" over each other an emerging style in society and it drives me nuts. Nuts!, I'll tell you what's nuts, people who can't just get in your face and answer back right now!In general, I prefer to take it in, think it throughThink it thru! Who has time for that? Just agree with me NOW! and then decide what my response to something is going to be.

But I've discovered that in a lot of places, including work places, that when you do that people assume you have nothing to add. That is not necessarily the case—I just hate having to elbow my way into the conversation verballyElbow! Who is trying to Elbow. You got a problem with it?!, fending off those who argue every point. It drives me NUTS!

pollyannaish

Edited to add: I find this whole Stop right there! If I want to get MY point across right now I will!"arguing" over each other an emerging style in society and it drives me nuts. Nuts!, I'll tell you what's nuts, people who can't just get in your face and answer back right now!In general, I prefer to take it in, think it throughThink it thru! Who has time for that? Just agree with me NOW! and then decide what my response to something is going to be.

But I've discovered that in a lot of places, including work places, that when you do that people assume you have nothing to add. That is not necessarily the case—I just hate having to elbow my way into the conversation verballyElbow! Who is trying to Elbow. You got a problem with it?!, fending off those who argue every point. It drives me NUTS!

:unsure: Wait. Have we been in the same meetings together? I could have been sending you snarky text messages all this time! Darn.