The Anosognosic's Dilemma: Something's Wrong But You'll Never Know What It Is (Part 1)

SrWoodchuck

SrWoodchuck
#more-53073
New York Times:

From an interview of, David Dunning, Cornell professor of social psychology, and, Errol Morris, film-maker:

snip

David Dunning:

"There have been many psychological studies that tell us what we see & what we hear is shaped by our preferences, our wishes, our fears, our desires and so forth. We literally see the world the way we want to see it. But the Dunning-Kruger effect suggests that there is a problem beyond that. Even if you are the most honest, impartial person that you can be, you would still have a problem-namely when your knowledge or expertise is imperfect, you really don't know it. Left to your own devices, you just don't know it. We're not very good at knowing what we don't know."

Errol Morris:

"Knowing what you don't know? Is this the hallmark of an intelligent person?"

David Dunning:

"That's absolutely right. It's knowing that there are things that you don't know, that you don't know.
snip

How much more don't we know, that we don't know?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know if I should go on from here, but for a long time, I suspected that this is what I didn't know.

SrWoodChuck!

I did not know you would post this article.

Dunning and Kruger argued in their paper, “When people are incompetent in the strategies they adopt to achieve success and satisfaction, they suffer a dual burden: Not only do they reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices, but their incompetence robs them of the ability to realize it. Instead, like Mr. Wheeler, they are left with the erroneous impression they are doing just fine.”

Obama would fit this to a tee.

And this we all know for certain-tee.

SrWoodchuck

SrWoodChuck!

Dunning and Kruger argued in their paper, “When people are incompetent in the strategies they adopt to achieve success and satisfaction, they suffer a dual burden: Not only do they reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices, but their incompetence robs them of the ability to realize it. Instead, like Mr. Wheeler, they are left with the erroneous impression they are doing just fine.”

shoutPepper!

I don't know if it's the lemon juice in my eyes, or I'm just worried about the country, but your response is exactly what I had in mind in posting this. There literally is no telling what new vile deed, injustice or foul act will come next from these Obamunists.

I do know, that if we survive this......I want the pictures published, and the miscreants, if not shot or hung, at least stripped of their benefits, their accrued ill gotten wealth & then hounded into poverty & obscurity.

This, I know, that I know.

SrWoodChuck!

shoutPepper!

I don't know if it's the lemon juice in my eyes, or I'm just worried about the country, but your response is exactly what I had in mind in posting this. There literally is no telling what new vile deed, injustice or foul act will come next from these Obamunists.

I do know, that if we survive this......I want the pictures published, and the miscreants, if not shot or hung, at least stripped of their benefits, their accrued ill gotten wealth & then hounded into poverty & obscurity.

SrWoodchuck . . . A ' M ' E ' N !

PS: I also see the Dunning-Kruger Effect strongly exhibited on those reality TV shows like American Idol, America's Got Talent, etc. ;)

shoutPepper!

And, I know that you are right.