Blagojevich Wanted To 'Get A Good Gig' In D.C.

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
Key.prosecution.witness.2.1765302.html
cbs2chicago.com:

CHICAGO (CBS)-A former top aide to Rod Blagojevich testified Tuesday that the former governor was so anxious to leave Illinois and put his political woes behind him at the end of 2008 that he saw President Barack Obama's election as a chance to broker a deal to go to Washington, D.C.

Prosecutors played several secretly taped phone calls between Blagojevich and his then-chief of staff, John Harris, during Harris' second day on the stand Tuesday.

"I'd like to get the f*** out of here," Blagojevich said on one of the tapes, recorded the morning after Obama won the 2008 presidential election. "The objective is to get a good gig over there," meaning D.C.

A week before the election, Blagojevich and Obama had met with two top union officials, apparently sent on Obama's behalf, who told them the future president wanted his close friend and adviser Valerie Jarrett appointed to be his successor.

Harris said that he and Blagojevich rehearsed how they would broach the subject of a deal to appoint Jarrett to the seat in exchange for a cabinet appointment or ambassadorship for Blagojevich. He testified that Blagojevich planned to float the names of some other potential candidates for the Senate seat to use as leverage for a deal with Obama.

At one point, Blagojevich suggests Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan – the daughter of Blagojevich's political nemesis, House Speaker Mike Madigan – and businessman Bill Daley, the brother of Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley.

Harris said that Lisa Madigan and Bill Daley would essentially be used as "stalking horses" in the appointment process.

Blagojevich could tell the Obama administration that he was considering appointing Lisa Madigan to the seat to get her father to stop blocking his political agenda in Springfield.

His hope was, if Obama was serious about getting Jarrett appointed to the seat, Obama would be willing to get Blagojevich a job in his administration.

Harris said Blagojevich suggested they could leak false information to the press that they were brokering a deal with Speaker Madigan to appoint his daughter and use that as leverage to get Obama's camp to do a favor for Blagojevich.

At one point in the tape, Blagojevich asks if he could get Obama to appoint him as Secretary of Health and Human Services or another top federal post.

"What other cabinet position would be not stupid?" Blagojevich asks Harris. "UN Ambassador?"

"I don't think that's realistic," Harris tells Blagojevich.

In another tape, Blagojevich tells Harris that he could tell Obama's camp that he's considering appointing himself to the Senate seat as well, describing that option as his "ace in the hole."

Blagojevich asks Harris what he thinks a Jarrett appointment would be worth to Obama.

"If I were him, a top cabinet post. I wouldn't consider it. I wouldn't do it if I were him," Harris tells him. He later explained on the stand that, if he were in Obama's position, he wouldn't consider appointing Blagojevich to a cabinet spot.

Harris also tries to shoot down a suggestion from Blagojevich that he could try to get various ambassadorships, including United Nations ambassador or ambassador to India or South Africa. But Harris tells Blagojevich those aren't viable options either.

Harris also testified that he and Blagojevich discussed convincing then-state Senate President Emil Jones to transfer his entire campaign fund to the governor in exchange for the Senate appointment. Because the Senate seat is a federal position, Jones wouldn't be able to use his state campaign fund if he later wanted to run for election to the Senate seat, Harris explained.

Blagojevich, 53, has pleaded not guilty to scheming to sell or trade the U.S. Senate seat Obama gave up following his November 2008 election. He has also pleaded not guilty to plotting to launch a racketeering scheme using the powers of the governor's office.

If convicted, Blagojevich could face up to $6 million in fines and a sentence of 415 years in prison, although he is certain to get much less under federal guidelines.
________

Ah, if only Blago had been smart enough to keep his mouth shut, he might have been offered a job... :rolleyes: