CNN to drop Associated Press news

clearvision

clearvision
idUSN2125869420100621
Reuters:

CNN will no longer use pictures, articles or video from the Associated Press, the cable news company said on Monday, moving to use more of its own resources to cover breaking news and feature stories.

CNN President Jim Walton, in a memo to staff announcing the decision, said that starting immediately the cable network would be the "primary source of all content for all of our platforms and services."

In addition, Walton said CNN had entered into a new deal with Reuters to supplement its breaking news coverage. A Thomson Reuters spokeswoman confirmed the arrangement, which re-establishes some ties after CNN and Reuters ended a long-term partnership in 2007.

CNN's decision to drop AP came after the two organizations failed to reach a new licensing agreement. It marks the latest blow to the AP co-operative, which has angered some of its members, including newspapers, over its fees and coverage.

"It is unfortunate that CNN's viewers will no longer have access to the breaking news and worldwide reporting resources of The Associated Press," AP spokesman Paul Colford said in an email statement.

CNN, owned by Time Warner, announced in 2008 that it planned to distribute its own content, its first step in pulling back from its reliance on wire services.

Walton said in Monday's memo that CNN is launching an aggregation and distribution service called CNN Share for its editorial content. (Reporting by Jennifer Saba, editing by Paul Thomasch and Matthew Lewis)

------
Article by Reuters... ha.

Well, darn! I was really hoping that CNN was not going to use AP because of concerns over accuracy and bias.

But, I've recovered now.

Well, darn! I was really hoping that CNN was not going to use AP because of concerns over accuracy and bias.

But, I've recovered now.

CNN was created by Ted Turner.....accuracy and bias were never a concern.

It is amusing to note that the CNN concept was derived from a WTBS (Atlanta UHF channel 17, Turner Broadcastings original television station) news program called "The No Name News Guy". The news was read by newscasters wearing paper bags over their heads and engaged in slapstick comedy. When CNN was first launched shortly after cable t.v. took off, it was from the same set.

I still can't stand to watch it, and haven't since the early beginnings of the first Gulf War.