J.D. Hayworth pitched 'free money' grants

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
38809.html
Politico:

J.D. Hayworth fancies himself a fiscal hawk, but in 2007 the former Arizona GOP congressman appeared in an infomercial encouraging Americans to apply for government grants that they wouldn’t have to pay back.

In the infomercial for the Florida-based National Grants Conferences, Hayworth tells viewers to “take advantage” of government funds that are “real” and “available.”

The infomercial, first highlighted by the Arizona Republic on Monday morning, starts with testimonials from people who received government grants and boast of “never” having had to pay the money back.

Hayworth, appearing later in the infomercial, is asked by an Australian female host if the “free money” is “too good to be true.”

“It is for real,” says Hayworth, who is currently challenging Sen. John McCain in Arizona’s Republican primary. “Now look, I understand the skepticism, in part because President Reagan used to say the greatest contradiction ever uttered was, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.’”

“But I'm telling you, this is really true,” Hayworth continues. “And though we talk about it as if it's free money, let me remind you, it's not free money, it's your money.”

“It's money you've already surrendered to the government in terms of taxation,” Hayworth added, “but the government has a chance, and you have chance, to make an investment in yourself and, in fact, improve not only your personal economic situation, but put people to work and really help rebuild the economy, on your block, in your neighborhood, happening on Main Street instead of Wall Street.”

The ad closes with the host, Kylie Jaye, telling viewers to “be careful what you work hard for, you’re just liable to get it.”

A Hayworth spokesman did not immediately return a request for comment.
________

Video:

Of course, he can't compare with the Master:

JD has made some less than stellar moves in the last few years.

This wasn't one of his better ones. Not great company with which to align himself.

barryleskocopy-1.jpg

pollyannaish

:rolleyes:

Sorry. I've never trusted Hayworth. There is something sort of Bob Barr-ish about him.