Reports accuse WHO of exaggerating H1N1 threat, possible ties to drug makers

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
AR2010060403034.html
Washington Post:

European criticism of the World Health Organization's handling of the H1N1 pandemic intensified Friday with the release of two reports that accused the agency of exaggerating the threat posed by the virus and failing to disclose possible influence by the pharmaceutical industry on its recommendations for how countries should respond.

The WHO's response caused widespread, unnecessary fear and prompted countries around the world to waste millions of dollars, according to one report. At the same time, the Geneva-based arm of the United Nations relied on advice from experts with ties to drug makers in developing the guidelines it used to encourage countries to stockpile millions of doses of antiviral medications, according to the second report.

The reports outlined the drumbeat of criticism that has arisen, primarily in Europe, of how the world's leading health organization responded to the first influenza pandemic in more than four decades.

"For WHO, its credibility has been badly damaged," wrote Fiona Godlee, the editor of the BMJ, a prominent British medical journal, that published one of the reports. "WHO must act now to restore its credibility."

A spokesman for the WHO, along with several independent experts, however, strongly disputed the reports, saying they misrepresented the seriousness of the pandemic and the WHO's response, which was carefully formulated and necessary given the potential threat.

"The idea that we declared a pandemic when there wasn't a pandemic is both historically inaccurate and downright irresponsible," said WHO spokesman Gregory Hartl in a telephone interview. "There is no doubt that this was a pandemic. To insinuate that this was not a pandemic is very disrespectful to the people who died from it."
________

Considering how low that number actually was when compared with the threat presented, I don't think asking WHO for an explanation is all that unreasonable.

Al Gore has ties to a few of the drug companies that make these kind of vacines. I can't look it up now since I don't have access to my home computer.

pollyannaish

Hmmmm. Is this a good example of the Obama version of the Bush Administration's missing WMD's?

Where are the WMDs is the H1N1 Pandemic! Oh no, they it didn't materialize? It's because those evil profiteers Haliburton Big Pharma are out to profit from the hysteria! That evil Bush Administration Bush Administration!

Hmmmm. I'm seeing a pattern here. ;)