Selig won’t overturn call that cost perfect game

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
sports-baseball
MSNBC:

NEW YORK - The imperfect game stands.

An umpire’s tears and admission he blew a call failed to move baseball commissioner Bud Selig to award Armando Galarraga the perfect game he pitched. The play and its aftermath quickly became the talk of the sports world and beyond, even to the White House.

Selig said Thursday that Major League Baseball will look at expanded replay and umpiring, but didn’t specifically address umpire Jim Joyce’s botched call Wednesday night that cost Galarraga the perfect game — 27 batters up, 27 batters down. No hits, no walks, no errors.

A baseball official familiar with the decision confirmed to The Associated Press that the call was not being reversed. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because that element was not included in Selig’s statement.

Joyce said he erred on what would’ve been the final out in Detroit, when he called Cleveland’s Jason Donald safe at first base. The umpire personally apologized to Galarraga and hugged him after the Tigers’ 3-0 win, then took the field at Comerica Park on Thursday in tears.

Tigers manager Jim Leyland picked Galarraga to present Detroit’s lineup at home plate before Thursday’s game to set up the emotional meeting with Joyce. They shook hands, and the umpire gave the pitcher a pat on the shoulder.

“I didn’t want this to be my 15 minutes of fame. I would have liked my 15 minutes to be a great call in the World Series. Hopefully, my 15 minutes are over now,” Joyce said.
________

The apology heard 'round the world:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7znIMnU9Ms

Selig won’t overturn call that cost perfect game

And neither should he.

An umpire’s tears and admission he blew a call

SrWoodchuck

shoutValin!

What class the pitcher, Armando Galarraga had, in a locker room interview: no pouting or cussing, and talking about how much respect he had for Umpire Joyce, in coming to him immediately after seeing the replay, and apologizing.

A small, but important moment in a great sport, that has seen some classless behavior in the past.

I am glad Selig won't. Galarraga will be known more for this game than had it been ruled a perfect game.

I hope they don't bring in replays either. Baseball is too slow as it is.

Who is Paul McCartney? Why should we care what an old doped up fart thinks? Why isn't Obama getting of his thumb and plugging thehole?

pollyannaish

shoutValin!

What class the pitcher, Armando Galarraga had, in a locker room interview: no pouting or cussing, and talking about how much respect he had for Umpire Joyce, in coming to him immediately after seeing the replay, and apologizing.

A small, but important moment in a great sport, that has seen some classless behavior in the past.

THAT is the kind of moment I adore in sports. Perfection in the face of imperfect humanity. I hate taking the goofs out of sports. The bad call is just part of the fabric.

Even worse, there has been some discussion among my liberal friends and relatives on Facebook about whether or not Obama or the Legislature should get involved and declare the game perfect by decree.

I feel like yelling 'Can't we just have ONE THING where this government isn't trying to save us from some perceived injustice? Next thing you know they'll just declare the Cubs winners because it's their turn and institute affirmative action for superbowl winners." Arrrrggggghhhh.