BP Oil Leak May Last Until Christmas in Worst Case Scenario

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
news?pid=20601087&sid=aPfFTgqayIKY&pos=9
Bloomberg:

June 2 (Bloomberg) -- BP Plc’s failure since April to plug a Gulf of Mexico oil leak has prompted forecasts the crude may continue gushing into December in what President Barack Obama has called the greatest environmental disaster in U.S. history.

BP’s attempts so far to cap the well and plug the leak on the seabed a mile below the surface haven’t worked, while the start of the Atlantic hurricane season this week indicates storms in the Gulf may disrupt other efforts.

“The worst-case scenario is Christmas time,” Dan Pickering, the head of research at energy investor Tudor Pickering Holt & Co. in Houston, said. “This process is teaching us to be skeptical of deadlines.”

Ending the year with a still-gushing well would mean about 4 million barrels of oil spilled into the Gulf, based on the government’s current estimate of 12,000 to 19,000 barrels leaking a day. That would wipe out marine life deep at sea near the leak and elsewhere in the Gulf, and along hundreds of miles of coastline, said Harry Roberts, a professor of Coastal Studies at Louisiana State University.

So much crude pouring into the ocean may alter the chemistry of the sea, with unforeseeable results, said Mak Saito, an Associate Scientist at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution in Massachusetts.
________

Merry Christmas, Louisiana... :(

BP Oil Leak May Last Until Christmas in Worst Case Scenario

Question...Will it still be George Bush's fault?

Given the volume of sea water in the Gulf of Mexico, about 6.43 x 1017 or 643 quadrillion gallons and the following assumptions: 1. that the leak is 1,000,000 gallons a day; 2. that there is sufficient oil in the undersea bed in the Gulf and 3. you could restrict the oil only in the Gulf, it would take about 46,000 years to fill it to the brim.

We could then put huge pipes into the Gulf without having to drill anywhere else. We'd be energy independent and Obama would no longer be President.

Given the volume of sea water in the Gulf of Mexico, about 6.43 x 1017 or 643 quadrillion gallons and the following assumptions: 1. that the leak is 1,000,000 gallons a day; 2. that there is sufficient oil in the undersea bed in the Gulf and 3. you could restrict the oil only in the Gulf, it would take about 46,000 years to fill it to the brim.

We could then put huge pipes into the Gulf without having to drill anywhere else. We'd be energy independent and Obama would no longer be President.

shoutPepper......made me think, shame on you. Checked your math and it was spot on. However, with the agreed upon level of spillage being 5,000 barrels (a barrel = 42 gallons) per day (an agreed upon figure between the ONE and Bush's Phault), the actual time it will take to fill the Gulf would be 219,048 years.....

Surely the ONE will be out of office by then.

clearvision

You guys are leaving out the calculations for sea level rise over that time period. As the levels rise 3' in 1000 years the volume of water to oil causes even more dilution,,, and the residents along the coast have bigger things to worry about than a little oil on their flip-flops.

Al_Simmons

The US Navy could have plugged this well within a week by strategically burying large explosives under the sea floor near the well, detonating it and burying the well forever.

He**, the Soviets used a NUCLEAR device to end a huge natural gas blowout in 1969 according to one account.

From the beginning of this disaster, the unanswered question on my lips was "Where is the USN?" With their underwater resources, they could have assisted BP; with the above scenario, they could have plugged this thing a MONTH ago.

Geee....do you think ANYONE in the headless Obama administration thought "US Navy" when this blowout occurred?

I would have had the Navy Chief of Staff in my office within a couple of days and tasked him to solve the problem. Period.

And the Navy WOULD have done so. Because the military is the only branch of the Federal Gov't that gets things done through improvisation as necessary. Its their JOB dammit!

shoutAl_Simmons!

No offense, Al, but get a clue. The US Navy??? He** no.

The big Zero has lined up James Cameron of Avatard fame. Now there's the guy for the job.

Take that US Navy of yours and shove it.

Oops, wrong forum. This is not DU.

"Obama has been on top of this leak since day one" say his lackeys.

Corrrection:

The only thing Obama has been on top of is the thumb up his butt.

pollyannaish

I love the irony of this whole BP thing. Liberals are going crazy and working very hard to boycott BP oil. If they are found to have broken laws I might just consider it myself.

Which could reduce their profits and even put them out of business.

Which would be a great way to prove that CAPITALISM works. People buy from good companies, and don't buy from bad companies. And the marketplace decides.

I like that!

Al_Simmons

Frankly I can't see BP recovering from this. Look for ExxonMobil to buy them for cents on a dollar after the dust settles.

How about BHO banning drilling in the Gulf? Hello - MORE Americans out of work, HIGHER gas prices - but you know, we've got to punish those 'Red States!!!'

I kid you not. This is how these guys think. BHO's Katrina? Methinks its gonna be a whole lot WORSE by the time its over.

The operative line of criticism is that BHO did nothing even though the Feds knew within 24 hours the potential of the spill - yet they left it up to the screw-ups who caused it to deal with it for - what, going on 6 weeks now?

AGAIN I REPEAT; WHERE IS THE US NAVY IN ALL THIS??? WHY DIDN'T WE SIMPLY STRATEGICALLY BURY A SMALL NUKE NEAR THE WELL, DETONATE IT, AND SAVE THE GULF - WITHOUT RADIATION OF ANY CONSEQUENCE??

INSTEAD, THE GULF WILL BE DEAD BY THE TIME THIS THING IS OVER.

Oh, I know, I know - we can't violate the 'test-ban' treaty. Even if our lives depended on it.

G-D LIBERAL MoFos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Al_Simmons

We've been assuming the PTB want the oil gusher shut off. I'm not so sure any more.

Never let a crisis go to waste

Cloward/Piven

They want energy use to plummet, and oil drilling to stop. These photos have huge PR value for years to deranged leftist minds.

They had to destroy the Gulf of Mexico to save it.

These would be the rantings of an insane insomniac 3 years ago. Now, maybe not....

• 2 weeks later...

shoutArgyle58!

Rush talking about some numbers today. Paraphrase - right now if it is gushing at 20,000 barrels and it is nothing is being captured through August, it is the equivalent of 1/1000,000 ounce of oil in a full bathtub.

Rush - "This is not to minimize all the damage being done to people making their living, it is real, the leak needs to be fixed now, it is destructive" but keep things in perspective.

"Obama's moratorium on drilling is insane."

shoutPepper......made me think, shame on you. Checked your math and it was spot on. However, with the agreed upon level of spillage being 5,000 barrels (a barrel = 42 gallons) per day (an agreed upon figure between the ONE and Bush's Phault), the actual time it will take to fill the Gulf would be 219,048 years.....

shoutArgyle58!

Rush talking about some numbers today. Paraphrase - right now if it is gushing at 20,000 barrels and it is nothing is being captured through August, it is the equivalent of 1/1000,000 ounce of oil in a full bathtub.

Rush - "This is not to minimize all the damage being done to people making their living, it is real, the leak needs to be fixed now, it is destructive" but keep things in perspective.

"Obama's moratorium on drilling is insane."

I think that Rush's figures are optimistic, if you take the upper limit of the estimated leakage at 60,000 barrels a day. However, I do agree with him that less than 5% of the oil leaking will actually have any long term effects on the environment. The vast majority will dissapate and evaporate before causing any harm.