Pirates threaten boats on US-Mexico border lake

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
D9G02PU80.html
My Way News:

ZAPATA, Texas (AP) - The waters of Falcon Lake normally beckon boaters with waterskiing and world-record bass fishing. But this holiday weekend, fishermen on the waters that straddle the U.S.-Mexico border are on the lookout for something more sinister: pirates.

Twice in recent weeks, fishermen have been robbed at gunpoint by marauders that the local sheriff says are "spillover" from fighting between rival Mexican drug gangs.

Boaters are concerned about their safety, and the president of the local Chamber of Commerce is trying to assure people that everything's fine on the U.S. side of the lake.

At the fishing camp his family has owned for 50 years, Jack Cox now sleeps with a loaded shotgun at his feet and a handgun within reach.

In the American waters, Cox said, "you're safer, but you're not safe." Mexican commercial fishermen regularly cross to set their nets illegally, why wouldn't gunmen do the same? he asked.

Two weeks ago, the Texas Department of Public Safety warned boaters to avoid the international boundary that zig-zags through the lake, which is 25 miles long and 3 miles across at its widest point. Authorities also urged anyone on the water to notify relatives of their boating plans to aid law enforcement in case of trouble.

Since issuing the warning, most boats have stayed on the U.S. side.

"That's a good indication. It means they're getting the message," Texas Parks and Wildlife Capt. Fernando Cervantes said Thursday as he patrolled with two other game wardens. "They're still coming out, but they're not going across."
________

Piracy on the low seas?

SrWoodChuck

I'll spot, and we'll be putting WVR! first on the 'fiddy'

We'll need forces on the shore:

050721-F-9092G-025.jpg

and air support

081111-F-2661B-029.jpg

and we'll soon be making chum for fish tacos.

SrWoodchuck

I've never felt as safe as I do now. :rolleyes:

shoutNickydog!

You're welcome, from the crew! If you want to come on this "sea cruise" we'll give you a turn on the "Ma Duece!"

I've never felt as safe as I do now. :rolleyes:

Nickydog!

Don't worry 'Mam... NCTexan has you covered!

InternetCommando.jpg