The Obama Administration Chews the Fat

Geee

the-obama-administration-chews
American Spectator:

The Obama Administration Chews the Fat
By Matt Purple on 5.26.10 @ 6:07AM

When the president announced that Michelle Obama would be heading up an anti-obesity task force last summer, most of us shrugged. Most presidents like to send their wives off on a health-related mission of some sort. Laura Bush worked closely with heart disease and breast cancer charities. Nancy Reagan lectured children on the dangers of drugs. Hillary Clinton tried to burn down the entire American health care system.
In retrospect, we probably should have been a little more concerned. In October, Mrs. Obama confessed that, as recently as two years ago, Sasha's and Malia's meals had been chock full of fast food and pizza. When the Obama family pediatrician told Michelle that this wasn't doing her daughters' health any favors, the First Lady's jaw hit the table. "I was shocked," she said.

The same woman who was floored by the news that Wendy's Baconators are unhealthy was assigned to spearhead the government's anti-obesity policies. That probably should have set off a few alarm bells.
Now we have the fruits of Michelle Obama's labor, so to speak. On May 11 the White House Task Force on Childhood Obesity released its official report, and it's a treasure trove of technocratic, finger-wagging nanny statism. The report purports to "solve" the child obesity crisis within a generation, and it's not kidding around. If the government acts on the task force's advice, we're about to be force-fed a five-course meal of do-gooder collectivism.

How to crack the obesity nut? First, make Ronald McDonald a fugitive of the health police. The report frets at length over junk food being advertised to children. It cites a study where preschoolers were shown a piece of broccoli and a chocolate bar. When asked which they would rather have, 78% of the tykes chose the candy. But when an Elmo sticker was placed on the broccoli, 28% of them shifted their votes.

Obviously then, sweeping change is needed. The report recommends that food and beverage companies be given a chance to more strictly regulate their commercials. Television stations are also encouraged to lower the volume on or ban outright junk foods ads. Then if none of that works, the FCC is to be sent in to regulate and censor advertisements -- maybe ban them outright as with cigarette spots.

The report also recommends that food companies be forced to display nutrition facts on the front of food packages rather than the back. The FDA already saluted on that one and is hard at work crafting a regulation.

Government nannies are annoying and unbearable, but their saving grace is that they usually exist at the state level. The worst finger-waggers are usually city mayors like New York's Michael Bloomberg and San Francisco's Gavin Newsom. Consequently, America is an awkward patchwork of nannyism with rules that differ across state and even town lines. In Connecticut where I used to live, all forms of alcohol were sold only at package stores. In my new home state of Virginia, beer is available in the checkout line at Bed, Bath, and Beyond while hard liquor is sold exclusively at state-owned shops that resemble World War II bunkers. It's a strange system, but it sort of works. If I don't like it, I'll always have another state to escape to, as Ronald Reagan might have said.

The anti-obesity plan would begin to federalize the entire food division of the nanny state. The task force recommends that the government look into slapping national taxes on junk food and subsidizing fruits and vegetables. The states' initiatives, in the First Lady's view, haven't succeeded in socially engineering the people enough: "Recent research indicates that current state-level tax rates on soda purchases have had a relatively small impact on adolescent and adult weights. But a higher tax rate would likely have a greater impact on consumption, as evidenced by the effects of the substantial rise in tobacco taxes."

Think of it as a VAT for Dr. Pepper. The report goes on to recommend an astonishing 70% increase in the number of fruits and vegetables in the food supply by 2020.

Then there's the problem of food deserts -- not "desserts" but "deserts" -- and perhaps the crowning jewel of the ridiculousness of the whole anti-obesity initiative. Food deserts are defined as areas of the country that don't have access to a grocery store. The feds consider you stranded in a food desert if you live -- quoting from the report -- "more than a mile from a supermarket."

Already, $400 million has been allotted in the president's upcoming budget to tackle this pressing problem by subsidizing new grocery stores and food delivery programs. Michelle Obama declares that she wants all food deserts eliminated in seven years.

Woe is me, apparently. I live about three-quarters of a mile from a grocery store, according to a quick odometer test. But my apartment complex is literally surrounded by the forces of darkness -- 7-Eleven, Chili's, Legal Seafoods, McDonald's, Subway, Dunkin Donuts, Potbelly's, Hamburger Hamlet, Sbarro's, Cosi's, Chipotle, a liquor store, and several bars. Forget deserts, I'm living in a food post-apocalyptic hellscape.

According to the report, "Residents with better access to supermarkets and limited access to convenience stores tend to have healthier diets and lower levels of obesity." And yet, I'm very healthy and trim. What's going on here?

After running several studies funded by a $13 billion stimulus grant, I determined that my health is a direct result of my self-control. According to my data, limiting portion sizes, buying junk food in moderation, and exercising have all helped me avoid obesity. Further, if I ever become obese, increasing these activities on my own time will help reduce my weight to normal levels.snip

Oh my gosh! I live more than a mile from a super market. Therefore I live in a food desert. Who knew?

In October, Mrs. Obama confessed that, as recently as two years ago, Sasha's and Malia's meals had been chock full of fast food and pizza. When the Obama family pediatrician told Michelle that this wasn't doing her daughters' health any favors, the First Lady's jaw hit the table. "I was shocked," she said.

Yup... Michelle just edged out Hillary as the Smartest (DEM) Woman in the World. Who'da thunk it?

I assume that this will culminate with federally mandated viewing of Veggie Tales on a daily basis for all Americans 6 months to 60 years of age (after that, you're too old and don't matter anyway... eat a pizza, die and get out of the way).

veggietales.jpg

Certified viewing reports will be monitored by the IRS with penalties levied against federal withholding taxes. (An explanation of how this will work with those not working or paying federal taxes is due shortly).

Oh my gosh! I live more than a mile from a super market. Therefore I live in a food desert. Who knew?

I can't wait to see the supermarket they are going to build near the country home to which I plan to retire. It is currently about 15 miles to the nearest grocery store in an area where the population density is only about 5 people per square mile. I purchased the place because of these facts, which I consider a boon instead of an inconvenience. Even if they build a market at the end of my driveway, I'll still be over a mile away. I guess they will confiscate some of my property in order to put a full service store within a mile of my home, and my wife and I will be the only regular customers......most my "neighbors" will also have their own government provided private grocery stores.

We, too, live in a food desert, according to Mrs. O. Apparently my garden with tomatoes, beans, squash/zucchini don't count.

Actually, I hope she/they continue to overlook home gardens. Otherwise they will surely figure out a way to tax and/or regulate them.

pollyannaish

Has someone actually studied this? I live in a small town with lots of rural living. I have a suspicion that outside of inner cities, those who live in "food deserts" are actually HUGELY healthier than those who live closer to town.

In most parts of the country, food deserts require you to eat much healthier from scratch food you've probably grown in your own garden. You're much more likely to eat cruddy food if you live in town like me because of the convenience.

I don't know This whole thing defies logic.

It's 1.3 miles to my nearest Harris Teeter Grocery... no wonder I have to fight my weight!

Desert living ain't for sissies.

Think of it as a VAT for Dr. Pepper. The report goes on to recommend an astonishing 70% increase in the number of fruits and vegetables in the food supply by 2020.

I ain't going back to school.