Dems Reveal Plans to Update Communications Act

Geee

cd_20100524_8825.php
National Journal:

Dems Reveal Plans To Update Communications Act
Monday, May 24, 2010

In a major development for the telecommunications sector that will likely trigger a significant lobbying battle, key House and Senate Democrats announced today that they are joining forces to craft legislation to update the 1934 Communications Act.

The move follows weeks of acrimony over the FCC's legal standing to implement core provisions of its sweeping national broadband plan after a federal appeals court issued a decision undermining the agency's regulatory authority.

Senate Commerce Chairman John (Jay) Rockefeller, Senate Communications Subcommittee Chairman John Kerry, D-Mass., House Energy and Commerce Chairman Henry Waxman, and House Communications Subcommittee Chairman Rick Boucher, D-Va., issued the announcement.

"As the first step, they will invite stakeholders to participate in a series of bipartisan, issue-focused meetings beginning in June," a joint news release said. The lawmakers added that a list of discussion topics and other details would be "forthcoming."

by David Hatch
______________________________________________________________________________________________
Just the names involved in this are giving me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach!!!!

Here it comes! :angry:

I wonder if it is possible to button down communication the way they would want to though.

SrWoodchuck

"As the first step, they will invite stakeholders to participate in a series of bipartisan, issue-focused meetings beginning in June," a joint news release said. The lawmakers added that a list of discussion topics and other details would be "forthcoming."

....after everyone votes yes on the bill....to see what's inside of it......

"Just the names involved in this are giving me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach!!!!"

I had the very same feeling. All of our favorites.

Here it comes! :angry:

I wonder if it is possible to button down communication the way they would want to though.

I think it well may be. There will always be a bit of "pirate internet" type stuff getting through, but they don't have to control ALL of it. Just enough.

Bummer. Could we make them crazy if we moved communications to hard copy delivered by the Post Office. Could you imagine the confusion??? How would they open all those letters to see what people were sending to one another???

And consider if we mailed packets of info to one another via UPS or Fed Ex??? They would be apoplectic!!!

That said, it would be hard to accomplish a darn thing if we had to try to organize to beat them using the old tools. But still....

Bummer. Could we make them crazy if we moved communications to hard copy delivered by the Post Office. Could you imagine the confusion??? How would they open all those letters to see what people were sending to one another???

And consider if we mailed packets of info to one another via UPS or Fed Ex??? They would be apoplectic!!!

That said, it would be hard to accomplish a darn thing if we had to try to organize to beat them using the old tools. But still....

That would only incite them to nationalize UPS and FedEx in the name of "reform".