Man Cookin'

NCTexan

You've seen me post about cooking on the Big Green Egg (BGE)... the premier grill, smoker and ceramic oven.

bge_lg9883-edited.gif

My son (the techno-wiz) gave me a Stoker. It's basically a little computer connected to a blower on the bottom air vent of the BGE. This controls the cooking temperature by puffing air or shutting it off to maintain the desired heat levels.

It connects to a temperature probe in the BGE and a probe in the meat that you're cooking. The whole thing is connected to my wireless router.

Smoking a Boston Pork Butt (really a shoulder) for 18.5 hours and controlling the whole thing from my laptop upstairs is really a 'guy in control' of his BBQ pig.

You can control and watch the whole thing play out on a graph while you're sipping wine, posting on TRR and watching FOXNEWS.

200 degrees for about thirteen hours then gradually up to 275.

The top line is the BGE temp and the bottom is the meat internal as it climbs to my 200 degree target.

The two spikes down in temp were me opening the lid to take a peek. How cool is that! Ummmmmm.

StokerSmall.jpg

So theoretically you could allow internet access and we all can watch and/or control the cooking of your meat. Cool.

shoutClearvision...

There's nothing 'theoretical' about it! Look a little closer at the control panel in the screen shot. There's an enable Twitter check box and one for email logging.

Certainly tweets about my 'pork butt' would be as interesting as Newt Gingrich's updates on his every move and thought. :lmfao:

What are we cooking this weekend?

At least now I understand where AGW comes from.

Am I allowed in here? And for some reason, I didn't expect to see posts about Newt Gingrich's butt...Oh wait, I misread that didn't I?

I may have to send this thread to the guys in my life. This is their kind of thing...Computer, remote, grill. Yep, has all the necessary parts. Thanks for posting this!

Am I allowed in here? And for some reason, I didn't expect to see posts about Newt Gingrich's butt...Oh wait, I misread that didn't I?

I may have to send this thread to the guys in my life. This is their kind of thing...Computer, remote, grill. Yep, has all the necessary parts. Thanks for posting this!

shoutpollyannaish

Sho' nuff you're allowed. You can come in... make yourself comfortable, scratch whatever itches, spit, and talk tough. This is a cyber man cave with a soft side.

Please pass this on... maybe we could network a bunch of Stoker smokers from NC to Washinton state and have a gigantic CyBQ party.

The early prototypes of this work by remote control, now if we could just get it up and running on wifi with a browser interface we would be set....

shoutClearvision

BBQ and a Miller... What more could a guy ask?

But I'm kinda worried that we have all this posted in a forum that is open to the public.

The Obama Administration will have the ATF coming after the beer launcher... Michelle's Fat Police will impose a Fat tax on our menu... the Health Czar will raise our ObamaCare premiums for an unhealthy lifestyle... Barney Frank will charge us with Homophobia for our manly ways... the Cyber Czar will shut us down for wasting bandwidth that could be used for Progressive Indoctrination... SEIU will impose 'service worker' union dues on us... and finally the Redistribution Czar will make sure the fruits of our effort are distributed equally according to race, sex, and sexual preference.

Shouldn't we be worried?

shoutPepper SrWoodChuck! Valin!

Are you all prepared to stand up to the tyranny that maybe befall us for such an All-American manly effort?

And BTW, BBQ is a noun and not a verb. It's also a journey and not a destination. B)

righteousmomma

Well, the only concession I want in being "allowed here" is the fruit of the effort. B)

(Besides NCT's manly efforts keeps him occupied and outa my way!)

shoutNCTexan! shoutSrWoodChuck! shoutValin!

Yes, I am prepared to stand up to the tyranny.

my Weber is loaded with hardwood turned to charcoal for BBQ, slow cooking, big ol' wash tub full of iced beer on. But it works for steaks, kabobs, in fact, anything that doesn't make it across the highway or that can be shot in the woods.

snip

Are you all prepared to stand up to the tyranny that maybe befall us for such an All-American manly effort?

snip

And BTW, BBQ is a noun and not a verb. It's also a journey and not a destination. B)

I found it!

aha.. man stuff for sure (at least carnivore stuff for sure)

I am too boring to utilize this but looks like you all can have fun with it!

I found it!

aha.. man stuff for sure (at least carnivore stuff for sure)

I am too boring to utilize this but looks like you all can have fun with it!

shoutGhost... You could watch the graph as your smokey baked potato comes to temp! Whoohoo!

• 2 weeks later...
clearvision

An addition to that outdoor cooking and eating area coming soon!

shoutNCTexan

"Starwars Mosquito Defense System," a commercial spoof about an anti-mosquito laser system, launched the careers of Dutch video makers Simon and David Groen in 2005. It can still be seen on YouTube.

As if to demonstrate the axiom that truth is stranger than fiction, the pair's satire is now being developed as a serious research project by some of the scientists who actually participated in the development of the Strategic Defense Initiative, derisively known as "Star Wars."

According to a report in The Wall Street Journal, the project has been dubbed "WMD: Weapon of Mosquito Destruction." It aims to kill mosquitoes with lasers to prevent the spread of malaria, which mosquitoes can transmit.

The anti-mosquito laser system is being funded by Intellectual Ventures, a company run by Nathan Myhrvold, Microsoft's former CTO.

Here is is in action.

LINK

shoutClearvision

I believe that I could network the WMD with my BGE and Stoker. Only problem would be ensuring that I have the laser sighted in so I don't accidentally neuter the neighbor's cat.

What could be more manly than smoking, Stoking, poppin' skeeters, and watching "Man Cartoons"... like new the Japanese Anime Movie set for release real soon. Guys... I just can't wait!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOAPKxqutv8

shoutPepper Valin! SrWoodChuck! This is our kinda stuff.

(This series was originally titled Apocalypse Meow.)

I believe that I could network the WMD with my BGE and Stoker. Only problem would be ensuring that I have the laser sighted in so I don't accidentally neuter the neighbor's cat.

Thank you for that laugh.

Righteousmomma!

Bless you for all you have to endure.

:lol:

... for all you have to endure.

shoutRheo

I'm confused by your statement? :blink:

This is a mainstream movie based on some mainstream books from Japan.

wikipedia

I learned about it from a mainstream Japanese culture site.

WTF Japan Seriously

Just listen and enjoy the mainstream song from your childhood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udc_R36pVCU

righteousmomma

Thank you for that laugh.

Righteousmomma!

Bless you for all you have to endure.

:lol:

shoutRheo, you don't know half of all I DO NOT recommend he post on the internet. :rolleyes:

Fortunately he usually minds me pretty well. ;)

We could, though, use a mosquito zapper around here. The main reason we added the screen porch was so we could enjoy nature without getting eaten alive. I mean they are so bad in our backyard that the dogs cannot even do their business without being attacked from late spring to first freeze.

• 1 year later...
righteousmomma

While looking for an old thread where we posted some little auto bios I stumbled across this great manly topical thread started by NCT.

Reminded me I have been wanting to comment for some time about his continuing skills on the BGE.

Being a naturalized Texan I can brag without shame that NCT and NCT,Jr are highly encouraged to keep their respective BGE romances alive. No jealousy on my or DIL's part.

Every week and at least 3 times a week NCT continues to have a firey romance with his mistress. His devotion has cooled a bit due to his work commitments that pay for the luxury and enjoyment. Gotta get him stoked again for some bbq - pork or beef -- or turkey.

So hint, hint.

so where are all the man recipes?

or is this just a testosterone chest thumping "thing" :)

Let me explain it this way Ghost!

... very simply so that even a woman could understand.

Charcoal.jpg

plus_sign1.jpg

Unfriendly_fire.gif

plus_sign1.jpg

COW_full.gif

equal_sign_Lady_Gagas_New_Dress-s300x300-91791.jpg

177.png

Now you know all that you need to know!

What is the optimal temperature to grill meat?

How do you light the grill?

Will it blow up in my face and ruin my eyelashes?

As you can see, I need more information.

Rheo! As RM has said many times... NCTexan is just here to serve.

9155010-caveman-cooking-a-lizard-over-an-open-fire-volcanows-in-the-distance.jpg

What is the optimal temperature to grill meat?

Until it's as done as you like it.

How do you light the grill?

With fire of course.

Will it blow up in my face and ruin my eyelashes?

Use a Zippo and not your Mabelline lash brush.

As you can see, I need more information.

Read the instructions that came with your Hibatchi.

BuKJiC2mysBZSrrDwLAjUaOVm7FaJUxohbL.jpg