.’ ‘Trauma dumping.’ ‘Pinkwashing.’ These are some of the new words added to Dictionary.com

Geee

index.html
CNN

:snip:

Rage farming, for the uninitiated, refers to “the tactic of intentionally provoking political opponents, typically by posting inflammatory content on social media, in order to elicit angry responses and thus high engagement or widespread exposure for the original poster.” Pinkwashing is when individuals or institutions show superficial support for LGBTQ rights “as a ploy to divert attention from allegiances and activities that are in fact hostile to such liberties” – in other words, talking the talk but not walking the walk. And as you might imagine, cyberflashing is the act of sending unsolicited, sexually explicit visuals online.

Such words and phrases aren’t necessarily new – indeed, those who spend a lot of time on social media have likely encountered or used them for years. But their inclusion in the dictionary signals that they’ve reached a certain level of popularity and mainstream usage, Kelly said.

Take, for instance, the newly added entry queerbaiting. The term is slang for “a marketing technique involving intentional homoeroticism or suggestions of LGBTQ+ themes intended to draw in an LGBTQ+ audience, without explicit inclusion of openly LGBTQ+ relationships, characters, or people.” In recent years, celebrities including Harry Styles, Bad Bunny and Cardi B have been accused of the practice (though critics of the term say it invites unfair speculation around a person’s sexuality and polices gender expression).:snip:

1 hour ago, Geee said:
index.html
CNN
In recent years, celebrities including * Harry Styles, Bad Bunny and **Cardi B have been accused of the practice (though critics of the term say it invites unfair speculation around a person’s sexuality and polices gender expression).:snip:

* no idea who they are, an less interest in finding out.  ** Wish I didn't know who this is.

Pop music has gone from

To This

2 minutes ago, Valin said:

* no idea who they are, an less interest in finding out

I often see articles about this famous person and that famous person and don't know who the H they are. Not famous to me. In fact some of the commercials on TV that they are paying a 'famous person' to appear are wasting their money on me - could just be some lowly extra and I wouldn't know the difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Geee said:

I often see articles about this famous person and that famous person and don't know who the H they are. Not famous to me. In fact some of the commercials on TV that they are paying a 'famous person' to appear are wasting their money on me - could just be some lowly extra and I wouldn't know the difference.

Meghan-Markle-and-Prince-Harry-parodied-

• Like 1
  • Haha 1