Columbia University Receives $3M to Address NYC Climate Issues

Geee

columbia_university_receives_3m_to_address_nyc_climate_issues_876990.html
Real Clear Policy

Among the over $16 billion worth of earmarks included in the $1.7 trillion omnibus spending bill, New York Congressman Jerry Nadler gave Columbia University almost $3 million to address climate change, despite the Ivy League university’s endowment growing to $13.3 billion.

Earmarks are special funding mechanisms that allow federal lawmakers to designate money for local projects in their states or districts. Dubbed “the currency of corruption,” earmarks were once banned but legislators voted to bring them back in 2021. 

The grant is for the purpose of “addressing climate challenges to agriculture and water quality in the New York City watershed.” While this may be a laudable goal, there are two problems.

First, Columbia University is one of the richest institutions in the world, with an endowment of $13.3 billion, while it charges students $65,000 in annual tuition. It also pays no taxes because of its nonprofit status.:snip:

22 minutes ago, Geee said:
columbia_university_receives_3m_to_address_nyc_climate_issues_876990.html
Real Clear Policy

Among the over $16 billion worth of earmarks included in the $1.7 trillion omnibus spending bill, New York Congressman Jerry Nadler gave Columbia University almost $3 million to address climate change, despite the Ivy League university’s endowment growing to $13.3 billion.

Question: When will we see the Jerrold Nadler School Of Government?

What I find sad is $3,000,000 is considered chump change, a rounding error, in DC.

I also have to wonder What Else is in that Monstrosity. 

31 minutes ago, Valin said:

I also have to wonder What Else is in that Monstrosity. 

Things dribbling out on a daily basis that are depressing.

46 minutes ago, Geee said:

Things dribbling out on a daily basis that are depressing.

Kill these Omnibus Bills. Sure they make political life easier for politicians (YET one more reason to kill them!), but they wanted the job.

I worked for his campaign in 96 and 2000