Thoughts from the ammo line (I HATE Cellphones edition)

Valin

thoughts-from-the-ammo-line-446.php
Power Line

Scott Johnson

Sept. 9 2022

Ammo Grrrll takes note: NOT MY WORLD ANY MORE. She writes:

You begin to get a hint that the World thinks you are nearing the end of your tenure here when your mail consists largely of Hearing Aid ads, Walk-In Tubs and Cremation literature. It’s startling when you feel much younger and more alive than that. So a certain percentage of people apparently believe it’s time for you to move on, but the real shocker is when you begin to wonder if they aren’t right.

I suppose everyone who lives long enough experiences that moment when it becomes clear that it’s not their world anymore. Sometimes, it’s really BIG things – like your senescent, creepy, lying, corrupt Pedo-dent calling YOU – a righteous, elderly Jewish woman who has never done a single totalitarian or discriminatory thing in her entire very long life! — a “semi-Fascist.”

Why is the weasel word “semi” attached? It seems to me from a cursory glance at the historical record that being a “Fascist” is one of those “all-in” or “not at all” kinds of categories, like either being pregnant or not. But every single member of Team Biden is a blithering idiot – not a “semi-idiot” — so we have to make allowances. And the Team is led by a man who can’t remember for five seconds whether or not he has shaken hands with a person or how to get offstage without Dr. Mommy taking him by the hand. Who saw THIS coming?

(Snip)

Then came cellphones. The first time I noticed them, a young man could not either be alone with his thoughts for 10 minutes or converse with his neighbors in line and instead called a friend who was watching a very loud basketball game which the young man put on speakerphone so the rest of us could neither think nor converse. Time after time, I have observed whole families out to a family dinner in a restaurant, each member of which was on his, her, or xer cellphone, texting, looking at scores, paying no attention to any other member of the family. It always makes me sad.

Why, in MY day, whippersnappers, on the three occasions a year when we dined out, my sister pouted because she wanted to be left home with her friends, my brother was almost touching her to annoy her and my Mother was loudly computing how much cheaper she could have made the meal for at home. You know – good healthy, NORMAL FAMILY interaction!