White House unveils preview of Biden's 'soul' address

Valin

biden-backwards-maga
The Washington Examiner

Naomi Lim, White House Reporter

September 01, 2022

President Joe Biden is expected to rip MAGA Republicans during a prime-time address framing the November's midterm elections as a continuation of his 2020 cycle's "battle for the soul of the nation."

The White House promised that the Thursday night speech, broadcast across the country from Independence National Historical Park in Philadelphia, would be "optimistic." But Biden is anticipated to portray MAGA forces, perpetuated by former President Donald Trump and his allies, as being "determined to take this country backwards," according to his prepared remarks.

(Snip)

-----------------------------------------

You could watch the speech OR

Your Choice.

Jonathan Turley Blasts the Most 'Glaring Element' of Biden's Unhinged Attack Against Trump and MAGA

And there it was. The most divisive political speech by a sitting president in at least modern history. Joe Biden, arms waving and fists clenched, standing in front of a creepy red background, replete with two United States Marines in dress uniform “standing guard,” as their commander in chief blasted “semi-fascist” Donald Trump and the MAGA crowd as the top threat to America’s democracy.:snip:

:snip:

Among the sea of political pundits continuing on Friday to beat to death Biden’s incendiary speech from every conceivable angle — and then some — Georgetown University Law professor and frequent Fox News guest, Jonathan Turley opted for less hyperbole and more substantive, specific criticism of Biden’s militaristic Thursday night speech — and he needed just four tweets to do it.

The optics of Biden’s speech instantly became a source of Internet chatter with the weird red background that made the President look like he was giving a stump speech from Dante’s Inferno. However, it was the use of the Marine guards that were the most glaring element…

Dante’s Inferno. Nicely played — I hadn’t thought of that comparison.:snip:

John Kennedy Delivers Brilliant Response to Biden in Defense of Defamed Americans

Sen. John Kennedy (R-LA) delivered a great response, as only he can, noting what a failure this was in a primetime address to use it to attack Americans.

“After listening to the president’s speech, I really understand why it’s an unassailable fact that age does not guarantee wisdom,” Kennedy quipped. [….]

“His speech was a very cynical attempt to fill our heads with stupid,” Kennedy added. “I thought to myself, what a missed opportunity to talk to the American people — straight up — about the reasons when they lie down to sleep at night they can’t. He could have talked about crime, inflation, learning loss by our children, the mountains of fentanyl coming across the border killing our teenagers,” Kennedy noted.

“Instead, he chose to say to the American people: ‘If you don’t agree with me about higher taxes, more government, if you don’t agree with me that moms are ‘birthing people,’ if you don’t agree with me that government has a constitutional right to talk to your five-year-old about sexuality — you’re a bad person and you’re not even an American,'” Kennedy said.

“After it was over I said to myself, you know it’s really true — I’ve said this before — the water’s not gonna clear up in Washington until we get the pigs out of the creek,” Kennedy explained. “And no one is coming to save us but ourselves:snip:

Biden called for ending ‘uncivil war.’ Now calls GOP ‘threat to democracy’

Before an Independence Hall lit bright by blood-red light, President Joe Biden warned that the extremism of his predecessor threatened the health of the Republic, attempting to draw out “extreme MAGA ideology” from the “soul of this nation” like poison is drawn from a wound.

He spoke for 24 minutes. He attacked his predecessor by name. White House officials had said his remarks would not be partisan.

On the marble white steps of the U.S. Capitol, nearly two years earlier at his inauguration, Biden had called on that same nation to “end this uncivil war that pits red against blue, rural versus urban, conservative versus liberal.” In Philadelphia Thursday in primetime, he again said he was a president for all America, “not a president of red America or blue America.”:snip:

The Week in Pictures: Leni Riefenstahl Edition

Steven Hayward

That was hands down the worst presidential speech in the history of the republic. Never mind the self-flattering puffery of how Biden is a combination of FDR—Ike—Clinton & Obama (a line the egregious Jon Meacham has been peddling to him since January 20 of last year). Who could have thought the setting and lighting for that speech was a good idea? I know the millennials who run the White House live in their tight media-academic bubble, but can they be that clueless? Apparently yes.

Nazi-visual-1.png?resize=768,1052&ssl=1

@Geee

Once again with the Biden Administration I  have to ask What The Hell Were They Thinking?

Please tell me someone in the White House (Anyone) Say "Guys, this is not a good look...this is stupid."

• Like 2

Post editorial board: Biden's 'scolding' and 'demeaning' speech fell short

I’m pretty surprised to see this today. Just a few days ago I was very critical of the Washington Post for becoming the “goth teen of national newspapers” for its fixation on the death of democracy and today the editorial board has published something criticizing the tone and content of Joe Biden’s speech last night. They editorial opens by saying they agree with the idea democracy is under assault but quickly pivot to why Biden’s speech did a terrible job of addressing those concerns.

The difficult, perhaps insurmountable, challenge that Mr. Biden confronted — just eight weeks before midterm elections that will determine the future course of his presidency — was how to convey the message of defending democracy in a way that summons patriotism rather than partisanship. Here, as much as we agree with the president about the urgency of the issue, is where he fell short, too often sounding more like a Democrat than a democrat. You don’t persuade people by scolding or demeaning them, but that’s how the president’s speech landed for many conservatives of goodwill.

(Snip)

Moreover, Mr. Biden’s clarion call for democracy would carry more credibility if he were willing to call out his own party for its cynical effort to elevate some of the same “MAGA Republicans” he now warns will destroy democracy if they prevail in the general election. During the primaries, Democrats spent tens of millions helping dangerous election deniers defeat better-funded “mainstream Republicans,” including in Pennsylvania, where Mr. Biden, not coincidentally, chose to speak.

(Snip)

All the top comments sound like this:

• “Who is on your Editorial Board? This column is ridiculous! We have a dangerous partisan faction in our country and you are nitpicking a speech given by the President to alert the citizens to the peril our democracy is facing.”
  • “Yeah, pretty shallow analysis. Dems need to win, end of story. Dems winning IS the vote for democracy. If you are a pragmatist, and take this view, the speech was spot on. I hope he fired up his base. He has had some wins and he has every right to point them out. As for the ‘cynical’ Dems gimme a break, this is war.”

(Snip)

There is a better opinion piece about this topic at the Post today. Here’s Henry Olsen on Biden’s speech:

Presidents have public and political roles. Their public role is to serve as the nation’s chief executive, while their political one is to advance their party and its agenda. Presidents have historically taken great care to separate the two roles.

Biden disregarded that distinction, crucial to a functioning democracy, on Thursday night. He gave what was essentially a Democratic campaign speech during an official White House effort, complete with Marine guards standing ominously in the background. Casually ignoring a bipartisan democratic norm in a speech ostensibly devoted to protecting democracy dials chutzpah up to 11.

(Snip)

(Snip)

• 2 weeks later...