Morning of July 3 on Cemetery Ridge

Draggingtree

Draggingtree
  • Morning of July 3 on Cemetery Ridge

• Thread starterTom Elmore 

At first light on July 3, Humphreys' Mississippians engage Union pickets; sporadic skirmishing continues throughout the forenoon. Confederate artillery joins in and detonates a few Union ammunition chests on Cemetery Ridge, including a caisson that inflicts casualties on Stannard's 14th

Vermont, which advances to better cover. Dana's 149th and 150th Pennsylvania, posted the previous night just south of the Codori buildings, retreat behind the ridge and are replaced by four companies of Harrow's 19th Maine. Battery K, 4th U.S. withdraws. Lee and Longstreet make personal observations at the extreme front. Around 7 a.m., a few hundred yards to the west, Pickett's division takes position behind a long line of artillery batteries. The map depicts the situation at 8 a.m., July 3. Around mid-morning the clouds dissipate; the emerging bright sun quickly raises the temperature to an uncomfortable level.

"I deployed Barksdale's Brigade and drove back the enemy's pickets … and held that front" – Colonel Benjamin G. Humphreys.

"At a quarter before 4 o'clock the enemy engaged the left of the picket line, and at 4 a.m. opened with their artillery, which was replied to by a battery on the elevated ground in our rear, firing over our heads /// [The enemy] blew up a caisson in my rear, belonging to a battery supported by the 14th [Vermont] Regt. The 14th then moved forward in line of battle to within about six rods [33 yards] of my reserves. The [13th Vermont] took position about the same distance to the right and rear of the 14th"  :snip:https://civilwartalk.com/threads/morning-of-july-3-on-cemetery-ridge.194242/

• Like 1

Draggingtree
On 7/6/2022 at 10:17 AM, Valin said:

@Draggingtree

The  thing that Always strikes me is the Stones these Men  (both sides) had.

You went over my head